Best Tutorial Option to answer CAM questions

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DWC2440,TaigCNCMill,Dellta3003d, Epilog

Best Tutorial Option to answer CAM questions

Post by TSM2018 »

I don't see the Aspire for Dummies app on the web, so I'll be the "test dummy" today... I have no problems admitting when I need help and so asking for directions. :D The forum may be getting these stupid questions from me for a year, except when traveling, I'm going to be a CNC weekend warrior.

I am working on a 3d model, I can muddle through CAD easier then CAM. So In my head with little experience (be nice I'm green!) I want to do a .25 end mill rough cut so my .125" end ball cutter doesn't have to work so hard, and then a final .25 end mill finish cut the flames out of the board... I'm using a approx 1" thick piece of masonite to do the test carve, if flames turn out we can paint it... Well actually, I probably won't do the finish cut as this is my test board, and I won't t have to use a waste board.

I'm making a sign with some flames... grandson (age 7) loves cars... Not that ALL Grands are the best in each of our families, but mine was drawing 3 d objects on paper last night... and his G'ma is so impressed!

So what tutorial gives me the best info on CAM processes? I'm heading back to my office to print the tool path section of Aspire Manual v. 9 - I think there is about 100 pages of that section...
Thanks -

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Best Tutorial Option to answer CAM questions

Post by Adrian »

Most of the tutorials have a toolpathing video to go with the design video as well. Fleur De Lys, lioness, golf award, magic beans are all good ones to show 3D toolpathing.

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Thanks for the quick rescue response. I now see there is a sort option at the top, "Categories"... that allows the search.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

The forum may be getting these stupid questions from me for a year,

You may think they are stupid questions but I bet they have all been asked before :lol: :lol:

That's what the forum is here for so we can all help each other no matter how stupid you think the questions may be, sure I asked more than my fair share of them when I first started.

If you really want to learn then the beginning is really the best place to start rather than jumping in half way through because the projects are more interesting :lol: :lol: Takes a bit longer but will give you a very good understanding of the software & the process as you move forward,
Rather than just watching the tutorials you can download the tutorial files & work along side the video, dual monitor set up helps with this if you have access to one :lol: :lol:

Now you have discovered how to search the tutorials you should be able to find all you need but don't forget there are other training aids like the tutorials from the user group meetings & the short tips & tricks videos :lol: :lol:

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Thanks Martin for the encouragement, believe me, I haven't jumped into anything yet. My husband is not so patient, but I know if I don't learn to control the router via software, that I am just wasting time (watching the router cut) and material... and I have enough experience with my own skills to know that I should not cut something that I am not happy with in the 3d view.. I asked my tech support (oldest son) about my learning issue and needing two screens. I bought a 26.5" Diagonal monitor, as I didn't want to switch my video card... while it isn't as nice as two monitors, it is large enough to have two windows open, and I did bind and print the first 314 pages of the Aspire v 9 manual, as the manual can be studied when I am on the go, without tethered to a digital device. My desk in my dining room isn't really large enough for two monitors and to keep the computer off the floor. This is the same monitor that I have in my office, but I have other work areas with dual monitors, so the larger monitor helped me with my learning issue.

I am experiencing a much happier out of the box experience with vectric; my gut is telling me that I found the right tool for my digital CNC experiences, and with optimism, I started a list of my own projects that I want to accomplish.

I am sure I will spend the time to watch many if not all the vectric tutorials, and work through the lessons, as that should help me keep my redundant green user questions to a minimum.

The Magic Beans 3D Modeling was exactly the tutorial that I needed. I just need to update my artwork and do some modeling and I may be able to turn on the router today.

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

I think you have a great start. Don't forget to search the questions on the forum as well.
As Martin said a lot of the questions you will have are already explained on the forum.
You just have to locate them by searching.

But by all means ask the questions you can't find the answers to, we all learn from them.

Mark

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Mission half accomplished; 3 Toolpaths Generated for Mach 3 (non ATC version), and project machined. Experienced Power interruption and was off, very slightly in getting it back to zero (manually), since I was forced into a reboot situation. Need to revise design and try again; ran project about 1/3 of the normal size while tweaking design. I had one non closed vector for my the portions of my self edited imported vector, but found the vector validation tool and was able to join the vector and then was able to complete CAM process.

Note to self, to call electrician for dedicated electrical outlet, that will handle load for shop vac and CNC and to look up specs for amps drawn by equipment.

Gosh, does it sound like I know what I'm talking about? I'm amazed at the amount of info/language I have picked up since watching 5 tutorials, can't wait to get to the gadgets, but trying to manage learning process incrementally and working on fundamentals first...

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

was off, very slightly in getting it back to zero (manually), since I was forced into a reboot situation

Have you got limit switches on your machine & do you home your machine using mach3 when you first turn it on? If your machine is homed using mach at start up then there is no need for a manual zero on a power loss. Simply rehome the machine after a power loss & then tell the machine to go to zero. It will return to your original G54 zero position.
If you are using mach3 then it is worth learning about work off sets, there is (or was) a tutorial on the mach support site on using them :lol: :lol: :lol: