male inlay ***toolpath wipes out letters***

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
parentsdisapointment
Model of CNC Machine: piranha

male inlay ***toolpath wipes out letters***

Post by parentsdisapointment »

Newbie:
so I'm trying to make an inscription. I want to do an inlay. the female part is easy, but doing the male part the tool path wipes out some of the letters..........what can I do to get the complete inscription? I've uploaded the file so you can tell me where I went wrong or how to correct.......the file was too big so I had to wipe out some of the saying but you can play with it and see what I see. Thanks in advance
Attachments
Charlotte male inlay.crv
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 112 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: male inlay ***toolpath wipes out letters***

Post by Adrian »

Because it's a script font there are lots of overlaps. The VCarve toolpath will handle that if you're carving inside the letters but not outside. You'll need to convert the text to curves and remove the overlaps to join the multiple shapes into one.

seanm
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: 6040 Desktop CNC

Post by seanm »

here is a link to the part of a training video that goes into detail about editing script text to accomplish what you are after,

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... &time=1197

parentsdisapointment
Model of CNC Machine: piranha

Post by parentsdisapointment »

BINGO ! ! ! THAT DID IT ! ! !

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! !

[I've been banging my head on this one for a while.]

side note: the video doesn't show that after you convert the text to curves then weld them, you have to group them in order to get them selected in the tool path.

Thanks again

signcut329
Model of CNC Machine: K2CNC 2514 & V90

Post by signcut329 »

Simple answer is to just put a .001 off set vector (line) around your text. Then only select the outside Vector (line), Inside circles and your square, recalculate- cut. I would also use a .0350 end mill as an clearing tool along with a Chisel point 60 degree V. Takes a little longer, but looks real nice when done.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Not sure about that last statement regarding grouping the vectors to get them into a toolpath. I've never run into a case where you HAD to group vectors to create a toolpath. It may be a good thing to put them all into the same layer if you're using vector selection for the toolpaths. Otherwise, you just select all the vectors for the toolpath and then create it.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost