Problems with pocketing around letters on sign

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
CJohnson

Problems with pocketing around letters on sign

Post by CJohnson »

This is my first go with pocketing and I am having trouble with the vectors. I know they need to all be connected but don't know what to do to fix it. Everything was ok until I added a different font to the sign. I've attached the file. I want to pocket the sign around the letters. I initally wanted the pocket area to resemble a sandblast sign but at this point I would be happy with anything. However, if you know or would like to offer up another pattern, I would greatly appreciate it. I am doing this on a test piece of pine that is .75" think. Any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated. If you don't want to provide the fish but would like to offer a fishing pole, that would be appreciated too. :oops:
Attachments
craig ruby sign trial v3.crv
(165 KiB) Downloaded 234 times

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

First you have overlapping vectors you need to get rid of....just use the spacing to open it up a bit.

Chuck

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Try this

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

A little bit of tweek and you will get it looking good...
Attachments
Ruby.jpg

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

I hate to be a font snob but I am! Please if you plan on making signs for anyone but a softball team (the only appropriate use) delete brush script from your system. Do comic sans and balloon at the same time!

Seriosly though just a bit of critisism - weld those scripty letters together .

CJohnson

Post by CJohnson »

Thanks for the help. I never thought of overlapping vectors. I will do some research on that one.
The fonts were what my friend used on his business card. He wanted me to try and match it. I will take a look at comic sans and balloon. I really didn't expect a response on a font but I do appreciate your advise and help.
Thanks,
CJ

bryson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS 48 X 96 Aspire

Post by bryson »

CJ, Try this. It should work for you. Assuming that I was able to post the file. (first time)
Attachments
craig ruby sign trial v3[1].crv
(162.5 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
craig ruby sign trial v3[1].crv
(162.5 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

I was actually just trying to point out that Brush script, comic sans and balloon are three of the most often abused fonts in the sign business.

Also when using script fonts you may have better results if you weld them together after typsetting them.

Good luck in all you do.

CJohnson

Post by CJohnson »

That's funny. I looked at comic sans and was thinking that my friend would never go with that. I never found balloon thankfully.

Thanks for everyones help.

I was able to pocket out the sign successfully but the when i add texturing to the pocket area, the letters are particially chipped away. I tried several values for the offset to no real benefit. Any ideas on appling texturing to a pocket area without affecting the letters of the sign?

Thanks,
CJ

kevinl
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kevinl »

I have only used the texture feature a couple times but what I have found it that the software does not take into effect the tool diameter for textureing. What I did was to create an offset (to the inside) of the area I wanted to texture equal to the radius of the cutter. you may have to increase the offset if the area is deeper than the radius of the cutter. there are a couple other threads around here somewhere that may explain it better than I have.

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

CJ, check out this how-to: http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... turing.htm it might point you in the right direction.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

CJohnson

Post by CJohnson »

Thanks for the tip Jay.

I appreciate all who helped out. Great learning experience for me and very rewarding.

Don't know why the duplicate posting above. That was weird.

CJ

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Kimon.
Just out of interest what fonts do you generally use for signs?
Regards
Bart
Kimon wrote:I hate to be a font snob but I am! Please if you plan on making signs for anyone but a softball team (the only appropriate use) delete brush script from your system. Do comic sans and balloon at the same time!

Seriosly though just a bit of critisism - weld those scripty letters together .