tolerances for 18mm birch ply?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
kevinl
Vectric Craftsman

tolerances for 18mm birch ply?

Post by kevinl »

Im working on some drawings similar to the knock down rocking chairs that are in another thread. I dont have a sheet here to measure but I believe the last sheet I had measured .707 Just wondering if anyone that uses this stuff regularly knows what it is supposed to measuer (in inches) and how much it varies? I want the stuff to fit together snug but not so tight it wont work.

There seems to be quite a group interested in this stuff maybe we could start a thread devoted to knock down type designs??

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I just check some I had laying around from a few different jobs and I get between .7065 and belive it or not .76

I should check some next time I'm at the lumber store and see how much a stack of it varys.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

kevinl
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kevinl »

Thats what I was afraid of. Well guess I will have to work around that. Seems like they could make the stuff more uniform. I also wonder if you buy it from the same place and it come from the same manufacturer if it wouldnt be more consistant?

tgm
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tgm »

We stock and use 18mm multiply(15ply) Russian Birch in 4x8 sheets and the batch to batch variations are horrendous at times. We have went from .710 to .735 at times and we even had a batch at .750 on the nose. The Canadian multiply also has the same variations and the import Chinese garbage is all over the place in regards to size. Within batch variations are minimal so try to buy out of the same bunk of material and not just a sheet here and there.
You just have to play with it.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA