New Guy Question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
maxepr

New Guy Question

Post by maxepr »

Hello all,
I am brand new to this whole thing so bear with me. I finished my first machine build. My own design but I have it working running Mach3 trial version. I can successfully run the samples that came with Mach3. I am 99% sure I will buy the license
for it and use it as my only system. I have been looking at the VCarve pro software. It looks to be VERY capable. However........after creating a simple program, a clock face, when I open Mach3 I can't get the file from VCarve to Mach3. Is this because I am using trial versions? VCarve let me generate toolpaths but I can't figure out how to get the two programs to work together. Can any one help me?

Thanks in advance for any help. Regards, Max

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: New Guy Question

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Max,

Welcome to the forum and the world of CNC.

I can't help you on the Mach 3 end but the trial version of VCP will only let you save toolpaths for the provided samples.

You would use these samples to calculate toolpaths and then save them with the correct Mach3 post processor. This would create a text file with all the codes your machine controller needs to correctly move the bit.

I believe the trial version of Mach3 limits you to 500 lines of code, which most likely won't allow any but the most simplest toolpaths from the sample files.

Tim

maxepr

Post by maxepr »

Tim, Thanks for the reply. You are right. Mach 3 trial version is limited to 500 lines of code and that's fine. I am just trying to understandthe relationships of the two programs. Your reply answered my question. I am heading out to the garage right now to see if I can get one of the sample files to actually run on the machine. I am a little worried about the cost of the Vectric software because I am just a hobby guy and the $ outlay is a bit high. I fear that I am hopelessly hooked on this CNC stuff.
It has a steep learning curve but I am having a blast designing, building, learning.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards, Max

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Hi Max,

Like you I am a hobbyist, and built my own machine, and I now use Mach3, and also VCarvePro. I flinched at the cost of VCP, but I am totally impressed at its capabilities. With VCP you have design (CAD) as well as the ability to translate designs into machine instructions (CAM).

You may have figured this all out by now, but when you have finished your design in VCP, and selected the tools and generated toolpaths, you will be able to export a file that contains the necessary Gcode. Just before this step VCP will ask you to select your post processor, and you will select one if the Mach3 options...I would guess you would want the one described as Mach 2/3 Arc (inch)...the ATC one is for machines with automatic tool changers.

When you open up Mach 3, you will then select the import Gcode option and select the file you created above. You should then see a mini version of the design in Mach3 screen. Presuming your tool is at the start point selected in VCP, you should be ready to go.

Good luck,