Z axis problem with VCarve Pro evaluation sample

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
hophop

Z axis problem with VCarve Pro evaluation sample

Post by hophop »

I've downloaded and installed the VCarve Pro Trial and am attempting to generate gcode for the evaluation samples so I can try them on my machine.

I've generated the gcode for the "Cut Out" profiles but I'm having a problem with the 3D_Bevel_Sign sample. For the other samples, the profiling operation produces what I would expect to see - the Z value changes once for each pass of the tool with a final pass at the full depth of the material. For the 3D_Bevel_Sign sample the gcode for the profiling operation continuously changes the Z value and never reaches the bottom of the material.

I haven't changed any of the settings in the sample file - I just output it directly to Mach2/3 (inch). I've attached the resulting file so you can see what I mean.

I'm completely new to all of this so it's quite probable that I'm just not understanding what's happening so any help is appreciated!

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hello hophop,

Well spotted - this file is slightly corrupted and although it has been
included with the Trial version since July, you are the first person to
have spotted the problem.

The Evaluation files should allow you to recalculate and save the toolpaths
at any size and with a new combination of cutters. But the 3D_Bevel_Sign
is internally 'damaged' and stops you doing this, making the file pretty
useless.

I have e-mailed you the Mach toolpath saved from the Release version
and this does show that each pass is at a constant depth.

Thanks for taking the time to let us now about this issue.

Tony

hophop

Post by hophop »

Many thanks for the quick reply. I've only just finished building my router and I was trying out your sample files using a pencil instead of a cutter and the pencil was never reaching the machine bed! This is the first time I've tried anything like this so I thought I must be doing something wrong.