Trial version now available

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
vladdy

cut depth per pass

Post by vladdy »

Downloaded the trial earlier tonight, spent about a half hour 'playing' with it, and seems fairly easy to get started with, much easier than BoBart [for me anyways]..
just one [silly?] question..
I have a smaller [read homebuilt, dremel head] mill that can't take a large single pass cut, is there anywhere in this software where you can select 'depth of cut per pass' or 'maximum single cut depth"....
other than that, looks good..
appreciate the trial..

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Vladdy,

First, thank you for downloading and looking at VCarve Wizard. The answer to your question is yes. If you look on the 'Create V-Carve Toolpath' form the third field down is 'Cut Depth'. This field limits the maximum depth the software will make in one pass. So if the full depth of the deepest part of the VCarve is 5mm and the Cut Depth was set to 1, the software will generate a number of intermediate passes for the deeper areas to ensure that no cut is more than 1 mm deep. The 'Profile File' form has the 'Number of Passes' field which allows you to control the maximum depth of cut per pass for profile toolpaths as well.

Cheers

Brian

vladdy

cut depth

Post by vladdy »

If you look on the 'Create V-Carve Toolpath' form the third field down is 'Cut Depth'. This field limits the maximum depth the software will make in one pass. The 'Profile File' form has the 'Number of Passes' field which allows you to control the maximum depth of cut per pass for profile toolpaths as well.

Yes, the profile option seemd pretty clear, enter numer of passes, and it sets depth per pass..the Vcut didn't seem as clear to me, now that I realize [oops] that the cutter will 'pocket' the selected entity to full width based on size and included angle of the V cutter, the cut depth option makes sense [now, anyways]..
thanks..

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Whats on the horizon and Future with Vcarve Wizard?

Post by RoutnAbout »

I've tried the Trial Version and I've made up my mind and will purchase this software in a very short time. But what kind of addons and features do you wish to implement in the future. Do you plan on allowing the user to input text also? what about a Raster to Vector conversion?
When and if those new versions come out, will I have to purchase the upgrade?

Keep up the good coding.. worked with my shopbot and never had the first error.. good job guys.

Don

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Don,
We have just started testing the next version of VCW, which includes the following new functionality.

New VCarving functionality
The Create VCarve Toolpath form is totally new and now includes powerful and flexible machining strategies that make the software even more suitable for general sign making, engraving and wood carving.

Areas wider than the tool diameter can now be machined using an area clearance fill strategy with options for Multiple Z Level passes that reduce the tool loading, and the option to limit the depth to create Flat Bottom results.

Jobs can be VCarved / engraved using a single tool cutting at multiple z levels if needed. Or jobs with Flat regions can be machined using 2 Tools. An End Mill to cut the flat pocket regions, followed by the V-Bit / Engraving tool to carve the detail plus the areas left unmachined where the end mill couldn’t get in.

These new machining strategies make a massive difference to what you can do with the software.

Profile Machining with options for cutting Inside / Outside / On the selected vectors.
Pocketing inside the selected vectors.
Tool Database for easy cutter management and selection.
New Tool shapes - Conical Flat Tip Engraving cutters and Ball Nose cutters can be used with automatic cutter offset compensation where needed. Toolpaths calculated with any of the supported tool types can be simulated in the Job Preview window.

All Customers have the option to use the Beta Test versions of the software.
Customers will receive all new versions of VCarve Wizard Released in the next 12 months, free of charge.

Attached are a couple of images showing jobs cut with the new Flat Bottom VCarving.

We will certainly encourage development ideas and enhancement requests from customers.

I hope this answers most of your questions.

Tony
Attachments
Opensign.jpg
(29.03 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
sbeam.jpg
(32.29 KiB) Downloaded 328 times

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

Tony,

Thanks for the quick response, and yes you answered all of the questions but 1, And that was, will we be able to type the text that we want to carve from VCarve or will we have to do that from another program and import the text?

BTW, When I get this job out the door which will take a couple weeks yet, I'll be purchasing this well thought out program. Keep up the good job.

Don

BrianM
Vectric Staff

Post by BrianM »

Hi Don,

The ability to enter text directly is not in the version which has just gone into beta testing. Our understanding of our customer’s requirements is that they are typically carving designs containing much more than just simple text. With that in mind, we have concentrated our resources on adding functionality which is not already present in their design package. This is because we feel that for most customers, adding simple text entry into VCarve Wizard would not allow them to dispense with their existing package for the majority of their designs. Our previous experience has led us to believe that just adding simple design tools will not be enough to persuade people to leave behind Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, AutoCAD etc. due to the much richer feature set available in these programs which have been developed over many years.

As I’m sure you appreciate, it is a difficult task to decide which features out of a huge range of possible candidates should have priority, and we really appreciate feedback from customers on what is important to them. Although we would like to have an all singing, all dancing Design and Manufacturing program, we have taken the decision at this point in the programs development to concentrate our efforts on giving people the best machining tools we can, while ensuring we have top class import facilities to allow people to bring their designs in from other packages as easily as possible.

This is the reason we have added flat bottom v-carving which extends the type of designs which can be cut enormously, support for cutting designs wider than the tool diameter using multiple passes, support for two tools when doing flat bottom work to cut machining times, a tool database to store both tool geometries and feed rates along with support for ball nose and flat bottomed engraving cutters, pocketing support, profile inside, outside and on vectors as well as manyother improvements. All these features we have chosen to implement first because they allow people to achieve results on the CNC that they couldn’t do with the previous version.

The design tools currently available in VCarve Wizard have been chosen to allow easy fix up of any problems with imported files, hence the automatic detection of duplicate vectors, rejoining of open segments and the weld tools to allow script type fonts which commonly overlap to be easily joined together for v-carving etc. Over the longer term, we do plan to enhance the 2d vector tools including adding text entry. The balance we strike between developing the manufacturing and design tools will ultimately be decided by the feedback we receive from our customers (and potential customers :-) ).

Sorry if this reply is a bit long winded, but we really do appreciate people’s interest in the development direction of VCarve Wizard and would love as many people as possible to chip in with their suggestions and feedback.

Cheers

Brian

hbhbbb

Post by hbhbbb »

Brian, & Vcarve Staff,

I didn't mean to sound as if that i just wanted a simple program to carve text, I've searched the web extensivly for software to do exactly what you and your staff have come up with, and have no doubt that this willl turn other cam software upside down. I can tell by the well layed out website that Vcarve Wizard is a very well thought out program. I guess I'm just impatient, ( as i always am when i see a good thing ) I've been putting a business plan together and I can see that your software will decrease the machining time which means more customers and cash in my pocket.

For the last 15 years I've been grinding all sizes and shapes of endmills and tooling am planning on making a special Vbit, that in my mind should remove all vibration and reduce tool chatter. as soon as the grinder opens up I'll grind this tool and keep everyone posted. Which leads me to another question ,

Is there a limit to the diamter, angle or flute length of the tool in this program?

Again Brian and Vcarve staff, its one of the best software that I've found. Keep up the great job.
Don

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Don,

VCW will calculate toolpaths for any combination of cutter diameter and angle.

The Tool database in the new version checks that the maximum depth of cut is valid based on the entered cutter diameter and included angle. For example, a 1" diameter 90' included angle V tool has a maximum cutting depth of 0.5", and the tool database ensures that this tool cannot be programmed with cuts deeper than 0.5". If this tool is used to cut deeper than 0.5" multiple Z passes are automatically calculated.

For information - Tthe new version will V-Carve designs using Ball Nosed and Flat Tipped Engraving cutters cutters

Very interested to learn more about your new cutter?

Tony

Uncle Hai
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Uncle Hai »

Before I make my decision to purchase the VCarve, I need help from some VCarve Experts.
I have Vector, basic use is easy but when you start with a complicated project like NURB(etc...) I have no idea, I get stuck and give up, sorry Vector.
I have few questions that just popped-up about Vcarve(It's easy to understand than vector).

1st _ Keylock is dongle likes Flexi , LetterArt ?, 'cause I like to move from one computer to another incase it's crashed.

2nd_ How long will The Introductory price last?

3rd_ I still do not understand how to move the whole project I design( contains difference loose objects) down to zero X, zero Y precisely in VCarve.
Should I combine or group in Corel or Flexi before I export?

4th_ Shame of me to ask this question :oops: . What does "V bit degree: 60, 90,120 or 135 degree" mean, where zero degree start from? At VCarve it says diametter which means whole circle?

Thanks,
Uncle Hai.

BrianM
Vectric Staff

Post by BrianM »

Hi Uncle Hai,

1st _ Keylock is dongle likes Flexi , LetterArt ?, 'cause I like to move from one computer to another incase it's crashed.
The program has a security code which is emailed to you when you purchase the program (immediately if you use the ShareIt option on the purchase page). There is no hardware dongle and if the computer you have installed VCarve Wizard on crashes, you can simply install it on another computer. Obviously when you receive your code you should print it out and keep it safe in case the computer does crash.
2nd_ How long will The Introductory price last?
We have not fixed a date for reviewing our prices at the moment.
3rd_ I still do not understand how to move the whole project I design( contains difference loose objects) down to zero X, zero Y precisely in VCarve.
Should I combine or group in Corel or Flexi before I export?
There is no need to group or combine your vectors in Corel or Flexi. When you import the files into VCarve Wizard simply select all the vectors and press the 'M' key as a shortcut to the move command (or use the move icon in the 'Edit Vectors' toolbox). By default the Move Selection form that comes up is in 'interactive' mode and you can move the vectors with the cursor. If you click on the Specify the exact position check box you can enter the exact position of any corner or the centre of the bounding box of the selected vectors. So if you wanted the bottom left corner of your vectors to be at X0,Y0 simply click the radio button at the bottom left corner of the box on the form and enter 0 for the X and Y position. The image I've attached below shows the form with the required settings.

4th_ Shame of me to ask this question . What does "V bit degree: 60, 90,120 or 135 degree" mean, where zero degree start from? At VCarve it says diametter which means whole circle?
The angle for the tool is the included angle, and diameter is the actual maximum cutting diameter of the tool. I've attached a picture below which I hope makes this clearer.

I hope the above answers your queries, If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards

Brian
Attachments
Diagram showing angle and diameter for the VBit tool
Diagram showing angle and diameter for the VBit tool
VBitTool.gif (2.96 KiB) Viewed 8208 times
The 'Move Selection' form showing options for moving bottom left corner of selected vectors to X0, Y0
The 'Move Selection' form showing options for moving bottom left corner of selected vectors to X0, Y0
MoveSelection.gif (6.49 KiB) Viewed 8214 times

Uncle Hai
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Uncle Hai »

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the quick response to answere all of the questions.
Couple posts above I saw the "OPEN", "SUNBEAM" pictures (for examples), It says 2 tools were used,my question is:
-When you changing tools the X,Y and Z zero registration point will be lost, how you solve the problem?
-You have to create aleast 3 files for 1 project working? 1 for v carve, 1 for flat pocket regions, 1 for clean up
..and cut through to remove waiste material?
-What type of the Bits will be used to accomplish of those Samples ?
-What are dimension of those signs and how long it will take from start to finish?
Thanks,
Best Regards
Uncle Hai

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hello,

To answer your questions,

Retaining the X0, Y0 positioning before changing the tool is relatively simple and most of the postprocessors automatically move the tool back to this position at the end of the cutting process. Leave the tool in this position and retract / jog the Z axis up so the tool can be removed, and insert the second tool.

Next move / jog the z axis down until the tip of the 2nd tool touches the surface of the material and reset this to be Z0. Move / jog the Z axis up above the material and run the second tool.

If 2 tools are used then 2 toolpaths are calculated - End Mill for the flat pocket regions followed by a V-Bit to VCarve the detail, the software automatically machines the areas where the End mill has left material + the carved details.

If the job needs to be cut out of the material then a 3rd Profile toolpath is needed.

The 2 samples were produced using 2 tools,

0.250" (6mm) End Mill
90' degree V-Bit

The estimated machining times will depend upon the size of the jobs, the material being cut and the type of tools availaible. These 2 jobs are approximately 24" wide and can each can be routed in under 1 hour in wood.

Hope this helps,

Tony

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Sample Files and Fonts

Post by RoutnAbout »

In the sample file Bulls Head. What is the font in that file? or was it just created from scratch for this sign\file?
Does anyone have any good sites for calligraphy fonts?

Don
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Don,

The text in the Bulls Head sign was based on the standard windows font - Serifa BT + Bold
The B was simply stretched to the required size
The sign was put together in Corel Draw where the flower and decorative flourish were imported from a clipart library and arranged to create the finished piece.

The offset boundary around the letters can be created using the new offset using 'Create sharp offset corners' in version 2.0. Where the boundaries overlap the 'Weld' tool can be used.

Afraid I don't have any favorite sites for fonts - maybe other members can suggest where to look?

The Linotype site lets experiment with the different fonts to create sample text so you can see what your specific ob will look like before you buy.

http://www.linotype.com/5-2210-5/script ... 223979bcc0

If you find a font that's for sale, I'd recommend also searching for that specific font name as I have found many of them are available Free from alternative sites.

Hope this helps,

Tony Mac