Jerky profiling

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Jonmilligan

Jerky profiling

Post by Jonmilligan »

:?: Hi, I seem to have a problem with cutting the outline profile on a lot of the parts that I have tried. on the part that I submitted to the VectorArt competition, cutting the acrylic inlay, the outline was an offset line from the free 3d rope file from vectorart. it seemed to cut it as a million straight lines, very, very slowly. Normally, with the Tekcel I can cut a 3mm acrylic shape at 3metres a min. no problem. In node edit mode the line shows an awful lot of nodes! Can anybody throw any light?
Attachments
outline_nodes.JPG
Magnified profile outline nodes
(70.64 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
outline.JPG
profile outline
(94.08 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Jon,

The vector boundary associated with the VA3D design is primarily created for positioning
the 3D toolpaths in the 2D window in VCPro. This vector is simply point to point lines
around the thumbnail preview image, hence all the nodes and short lines.

Although these vectors can be selected and used for machining there's no way of reducing
or simplifying the number of nodes. This is an enhancement to look at in the future

Tony

Scott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha running Centroid Acorn

Post by Scott »

I've run into the same jerky profile pass problem this weekend. My profile was a nice clean bezier from CorelDraw not a VA3D boundary. The profile in VCP was fine also with just a few nodes. It was the shape of a large "C". The file would cut fine starting on the bottom left and all the way around to the top left and then the whole left end of the shape would cut very jerky, shaking the machine. I tried two different Mach posts and also the G-code arcs inch post with the same results.

What I eventually found was that if the profile was made with the option of sharp outside corners (which I wanted or need) it would cause that problem. If that option was unselected, it would run fine. If I initially checked both tabs and sharp corners, I would have to remove both, recalculate, then add tabs back in and recalculate again to get rid of the problem. Again, verified with both the Mach and G-code pp's

This shouldn't be....?

Tony, Brian, ???
Attachments
C Profile.crv
(196.5 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Scott

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Scott,

When Profile machining with the option to retain Sharp corners is selected the toolpaths do
seem to include more points. This appears to be a bug and we will take a closer look for
the next version.

Thanks,

Tony

Scott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha running Centroid Acorn

Post by Scott »

Thanks Tony,

I had to deal with it again today, but it's good to know that it's not just me! I've been making the switch over to Mach3 and have had a few other problems before this happened and after it did, I was thinking "what next". :(

Any idea when the latest release will be ready?
Scott