Surfacing Bit and Surfacing in general

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Surfacing Bit and Surfacing in general

Post by Kimon »

Hey all I am doing some real accurate work involving z-axis and fine my spoilboard is too inconsistant. I am using 3/4 mdf and it waves and bows depending on the weather. What do you do?

Also any real preferences on inexspensive surfacing bits? I want a safe one (rated for router speeds) but would prefer to spend less than 200 that I have found doing a preliminary search.

Also any good tips on what to do to generate a good surfacing file?

darde
Vectric Apprentice

Post by darde »

check out her-safe. Sp?

Randy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Randy »

Here is the link Her-Saf in case you don't have it:

http://www.hersaf.com/shop/index.php/ac ... gory/id/7/

I have not ordered from them yet, but they were very helpful in assisting me with a quote for a local artist.
Slowly I turned...
Randy

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

Thanks bit ordered, much less than the whitesides and amana but no time to realy shop because I needed it overnighted. Glad they were in an earlier timezone.

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Hey Kimon!

Let me know about the one you chosen and how it perform. I'm about to order the 2" CED of those.

AngelicDiablo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot BT48 Standard

Post by AngelicDiablo »

http://www.onsrud.com/pdf/Spoilboard-4.pdf

I have the 91-000 1.25" cutter direct from company. Think I got it for $44. -AD :twisted:
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car! :-)

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Ok...just curious..
Whats the advantage over say a regular 3/4 inch dado cutting bit?

Is it just time?

i skim cut all the time....will this improve the "flatness" of my spoilboard?
Attachments
skim_cut.jpg
(60.22 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

CLyon
Vectric Apprentice

Her-saf Bit

Post by CLyon »

I use the 1.25 inch her-saf bit all the time. I use it to surface my table - though I do that infrequently and only when the surface is beyond usability. I also use it to surface roughcut wood - slabs that I can get at a local mill for a very modest cost. Because it uses replaceable and modestly priced inserts, I feel free to use it lots - fine cuts and brutal rough cuts. The 1.25 inch size allows surfacing more quickly and economically than 3/4 in bits, or other smaller ones. I still use smaller bits if I need a bit more detail on a rough surfacing job. I heartily endorse the Her-Saf line of bits.

Chris

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Kimon,
The past couple of weeks I've been doing alot of engraving and I also had trouble with my mdf spoilboard being wavy, I use a 1.875 - 2 flute cutter ( that I picked up at a auction for a song and a dance ) I use a stepover of 1.75. And the only difference between a surfacing bit and the .75 diamter dado bit is time.

I screw down peice of mdf and do a shallow pocket that my work peice will fit into, this way I don't butcher up my spoilboard. And I do surface this peice each time i put it on my table, or if it has set over night or a day or two.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

I got a 1 7/8 surfacing bit, it works great and the fact that it has two blades that are replacable is great, the blades have 4 cutting edges and sare only 6 bucks each.

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

My only concern about Her-Saf large bits is balance. The 2" CED V bit that I have can be rotate more than say 14000-15000 RPM because they vibrate too much (run-out) above that point which isn't very fast considering that the tip/center is actually "almost not" turning. BUT Her-Saf V bit have ONE blade only...

How is the dual positive is about this issue?

andkal

Post by andkal »

I've been using a Her-Saf 2 wing 2 1/2" diameter cutter with no balance problems at all. I have a 5" x10" table and a smaller bit would take to much time to surface. I know others that use 3 or 4" 3 wing cutters as well
Andy K