import dwg files

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
bluegoose

import dwg files

Post by bluegoose »

My dwg files are not showing up when I try to import them into Vcarve. I am going to the import button and then clicking on the drawing files in Vcarve but the dwg files do not show up in the directory that they are located. The dxf and pdf files show up. I can go to explorer and the dwg files are there. What am I doing wrong?

thanks

Warren
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Router

Post by Warren »

Hi bluegoose,

The reason your "dwg" files are not showing up is because Vcarve Pro does not import dwg format.
You will have to convert your dwg to dxf. and then import the dxf.

Hope that helps?

Warren.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi bluegoose,

Warren is 'technically' correct, however VCarve Pro will open ‘most’ DWG files if you enter the extension manually in the “file name:” dropdown on the Open file dialog. If you enter *.dwg as the filename and press enter, the dialog will show the .dwg files.

However we do NOT officially support this capability and don’t advertise it on the web site. The reason for this is that the DWG is AutCAD’s proprietary file format and they continually change it with each release. We do not have the resources to keep trying to track these changes, so although we can open most .DWG files from AutoCAD 2004 and earlier, we do not advertise or guarantee it.

By all means try the facility and if it works that is great, but if it doesn’t work I’m afraid you will need to get the files translated to DXF format as suggested above by Warren.

Regards

Brian

bluegoose

Post by bluegoose »

Hooray, Vcarve opened the dwg files I was trying to import. That will save one step. Now let me ask a stupid question - why are *.dwg files an option in the pulldown menu to import but they don't show up in the directory?

I appreciate your help, thanks

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Bluegoose,
why are *.dwg files an option in the pulldown menu to import but they don't show up in the directory?
I'm afraid that was an oversight on my part. The string displayed to the user in the file dialog is not the same as the extension list supplied to windows - I've removed .dwg from the description string for the next version for the reasons mentioned above.

Brian