Need help with strange problem

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
enytned1

Need help with strange problem

Post by enytned1 »

I have been using the V-Carve software trial version and it is quite easy and simple to use. I use AutoCAD to create the geometry I need and then I import the DXF into V-carve. I have come across a strange problem. When I create the geometry in AutoCAD I make sure that each vector is closed, I do this by selecting the geometry and checking its properties to make sure its closed. When I import the geometry into V-carve the vector is closed when I check the "join open vector" function. But for some reason the vector is joined to the one next to it.

I need your help to figure out why this is happeing. I'm attaching the DXF and the Vectric file.
Attachments
chest04.dxf
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 278 times
V0010.crv
(443 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi,

Although the vectors are closed and appear to be vcarveable / engraveable as separate
objects, the closed shapes sit directly on top of other shapes. This makes the design
impossible to machine because the software cannot determine what are the outer and
inner boundaries for machining purposes.

This video should help to explain what I mean.

Overlapping vectors

I hope this helps,

Tony

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

First, that is a rather impressive design.

It may be possible to cut this design by grouping polygons that do not overlap. For example, if you put every lower right sweeping polygon into a group, then every lower left into a group ... then cut each group, one after the other, you may be able to make this work. I had to do something similar (but simpler) for some doors that were cut for extreme makeover : home edition.

If you are successful, I'd really like to see the preview. It's a great design. You might try a 120 degree bit on this and see what it looks like.

Paul Z

enytned1

Post by enytned1 »

Thank you for the suggestion, I will certainly give it a try. I can carve the file if I individually carve each vector separately, but you can imagine how long this would take for a 200 vector drawing. Just the day before I created the file below and I selected the entire drawing and the software created all the carving in one try so I figured I could do the same with the file I posted earlier.
Attachments
V0009.crv
(506.5 KiB) Downloaded 236 times

Paul_n
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PR96

Post by Paul_n »

What about using the 'Offset Inwards' command ?
Here is an example of the center part of your design.

Paul N
Attachments
chest_center.jpg
(160.1 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
chest_center.eps
(102.49 KiB) Downloaded 238 times

enytned1

Post by enytned1 »

Here is the finished product. Thanks to all who responded. I'm still learning all the functions that this software has to offer, I was not even aware I could offset in this software.
Attachments
top.jpg
(104.36 KiB) Downloaded 123 times