Newbie with a software question.....

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Red Earth

Newbie with a software question.....

Post by Red Earth »

HEllo folks...I have been lurking here trying to get a grasp on Vcarve and decide if I should purchase it. I am impressed with the wealth of knowledge and the willingness to share it here.

I have a dumb question...being new to CNC eintirely... I have a project ahead of me that should sound simple to the rest of you.

I need to cut verses from the Bible in 6 inch letters in Oak MDF. The lengths of wood are in 8 foot sections for a total of 19 feet.

Is there are way to lay this out in V carve? I would have to index the material manually in 4 foot incriments.

The font is baskerville. Could I get away with a one pass job, or do I have to have a multiple. Any suggestions on bits?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Phil

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

I would start with building up the MAIN file which would be the complete design in one CRV. Then I would work with 4' section into SUBS files copying from the MAIN one. The "problem" will arise when letter(s) will cross a section limit. For this, I would get the involved letter(s) in both SUBS sections and probably make some modifications (see attached) to not carve the whole letter(s) that cross section limit. Still, to V carve properly, I would need to carve further than the limit so it doesn't gouge like I wouldn't want. In fact, if I could build up section, of different size, that would allow me to NOT cross letter(s), I would make things MUCH more easier as I would have to bother to match the carving accurately (say within 0.02 would be well enough).

You didn't say if the blank would be into one single piece... juat that can't change the Melodie to some Heavy metal music...

With 6 inches letters into Oak, I would carve multi-pass (stepdown)... or slow to a crawl (which could lead to burning). Still, it depends on the carving bit; 60 deg could do this kind of work but a 2" CED 120 deg would bog quite a little most router motor and small spindle.
Attachments
panneling_big_project.png
(6.64 KiB) Downloaded 443 times

Jason Marsha
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jason Marsha »

Paco,

What font did you use to create the "P" in your avatar.

Jason

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Jason Marsha wrote:Paco,

What font did you use to create the "P" in your avatar.

Jason
Better Off 1

Jason Marsha
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jason Marsha »

Thanks Paco.

Jason