XY Origin settings

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
PaulJ

XY Origin settings

Post by PaulJ »

Folks,
Can anyone help with a problem I have with establishing an XY origin on my table. I may be being dim but if I use any of the origins in the material setting ie any of the corners or the centre then my router runs out of table on the x and y. This is not because the table is too small but because the 'centre' of the routing is in the wrong place. I have home switches which establish x,y,and z datum zero but this is at the bottom let of the wood (I am using the OPEN sign sample). How do I establish the 'start' point?? any ideas greatfully received
Thanks
:

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

First off, welcome to the forum! If I understand your problem correctly, I don't think your setting your X Y zero on your workpiece. Are you? If not , what you need to do is move your tool over the workpiece to where your program origin is(either corner or center of the wood for example) and zero your X and Y in your control software. Then do the same with the Z. I hope this helps!

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Re: XY Origin settings

Post by mark296 »

I set the start point in the center of the wood "X,Y" by moving the router to that point and z at the top of the wood that you are carving. That way I always get the design in the center.

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Mark,

I always do everything from the center also. Seems like just about everybody uses the lower left corner for some reason. I'm a machinist and when possible we always do everything from center, so I just can't get my head together doing it from the corner.

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

mrBOND
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mrBOND »

I had a similar problem when starting with VCarve.
I found a setting in my control software that I've changed.
The setting in my program was called "Zero point in file"
It was "Lower left".. I changed it to "Original" then it worked ok!

Maybe not your problem.. but who knows...
CNC 1000x600 | VCarve Pro 5.5 | PhotoVCarve | Cut3D | Summa Vinyl Cutter | FlexiSign

PaulJ

Establishing X and Y jump off point

Post by PaulJ »

Gents,

Many thanks for your replies - it is certainly heartening to hear from others. I am using Rotoutcnc Dragon software which is good but has a 'home' command in the first line.
Now if I am unterstanding this right what we are saying is that in V-Carve I should select the centre of the workpiece as the datum and after my router has started and gone to the HOME position the programme moves the head to the theoretical V-Carve centre of the wood.I am then prompted for the tool change which means I can then use the 'jog' facility to place the router bit into the true centre of the workpiece and touching the wood surface - then commit to the programme.

Am I right in my interpretation as i would prefer to use the wood centre rather than the HOME xyz 0,0,0 which means I have no leeway for programme over-run.

Is anyone else using Routoutcnc Dragon boards?? :lol:

Thanks again to all

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mark296 »

Hi Jason,

I use dead center because it is easier to do a double sided piece. If I draw a line from corner to corner to find the center on one side, then carve it, I know that when I turn the piece over if I repeat that process both sides will be centered. You can get 3d carvings that way or double sided signs.

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I always use the center too. I jog the machine the center, set the control software to zero for all the axis and then start cutting. You also have to select the center as the orgin in VCarve Pro. Oh and make sure you have uncheched the use offsets box on the material setup page. I've forgotten to do that a few times and stood there wondering where the machine was going.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)