Increase number of decimal places available for offset

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
JLAWREN6

Increase number of decimal places available for offset

Post by JLAWREN6 »

I was playing around with offsetting vectors as part of doing an inlay and ran into this. If I want to use an 1/8" tool and I attempt to offset the target vector by the tool radius as part of that, I'm limited to 3 decimal places in the offest distance box such that I can only input 0.063" instead of the true 0.0625". Is there a way to increase the number of available decimal places somehwere that I am missing? Anyone know why the limitation would be there or experience something similar? By the way, I'm trying this with 2.1 Beta. I haven't gone back and tried it using version 2.0.

Thanks,

Jon

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Jon,

Afraid this is a bug and only offsets to 3 decimal places can be created at the moment.

Tony

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Anyone know why the limitation would be there or experience something similar?
I'm afraid I have to plead guilty to that one :( . As we are based in the U.K our native measurement units are mm and 3 decimal places in mm mode is 0.001mm which is 0.0000393 inches, which is pretty small by anyones standards. Obviously in inches, 3 decimal places is only accurate to one thousandth of an inch.

We will fix this in the next release to make the offsets support 4 decimal places in inch mode for our customers using inches, and wanting offsets to less than one thousand of an inch accuracy. However, as the difference between 0.063" and 0.0625" is literally half a thousand of an inch, unless you are using a high accuracy engraving machine you are unlikely to see a difference on most routers.

Regards

Brian

JLAWREN6

Post by JLAWREN6 »

OK. Thanks for explaining it. I'm sure I won't see the difference in my application. Being able to put in the exact number just makes it seem more complete somehow, but it's not that big of deal. Enjoying the program....