Toolpath File Names

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Toolpath File Names

Post by Rusty »

When a toolpath is made/calculated then saved, can that saved file name appear in the g-code text without having to go to the Mach3 edit area & retype the first line?
(Now I am refering to VCarve Pro 3.1).
Maybe my mind is alittle fuzzy but didn't version 3.0 do this automatically or was I editing just under reflex mode, just like driving & talking on the cell phone & not remembering the last 50 klms?
Thanks.

Rusty

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Re: Toolpath File Names

Post by CRFultz »

MJR wrote:When a toolpath is made/calculated then saved, can that saved file name appear in the g-code text without having to go to the Mach3 edit area & retype the first line?
(Now I am refering to VCarve Pro 3.1).
Maybe my mind is alittle fuzzy but didn't version 3.0 do this automatically or was I editing just under reflex mode, just like driving & talking on the cell phone & not remembering the last 50 klms?
Thanks.

Rusty
Rusty,
The file name shows up on mine.....
Attachments
ScreenHunter_4.jpg
(197.87 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
ScreenHunter_2.jpg
(187 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Rusty,

The Mach control software has a problem with Toolpath file names that include brackets ( ) in the name.
This is highlighted when calculating Flat Bottom VCarved / Engraved Toolpaths where the Pocketing toolpath
is automatically named with brackets around the word (Pocket).

The default name will be something like - V-Carve 1 (Pocket)

The Mach3 control software does not like the extra brackets and gives an error message. So in order to
ensure that the toolpaths will always work with Mach2/3 we decided to remove toolpath name from the
header of the cnc file. This is particularly important for users running the Trial version who we need to
ensure don't have a problem when saving and cutting the sample files.

The original postprocessors are still available (without arcs) and these will include the Toolpath name
in the CNC code. I guess this is the postp that Chuck is using?

Let us know if you would like a version of the Mach postp that includes the name and we can e-mail it to you.

Tony

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

I see what you mean Tony,
I have always renamed my files when I generate the toolpath so the (pocket) was never a issue.
My filenames are renamed to coincide with the tool and the job, if there are multiple toolpaths then they are numbered to depict the order in which they are to be cut.

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Tony for the reply.
No problem, I will still continue to use 3.1 & I will go into the edit mode in Mach3 and name the file accordingly. I tend to identify the cutting tool as well as a file description.
Thanks again.
Rusty