Endmill == Spiral Bit ??

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
FastCote

Endmill == Spiral Bit ??

Post by FastCote »

Just out of curiosity, are there any differences between an “endmill” and a “spiral bit”? I found a Bosch two-flute, right hand, upcut, solid carbide “spiral bit” at Lowes. It is comparable in price to those mentioned in the “Best Bit Source” thread, and Lowes is on just about every street corner, so no waiting for the UPS truck. Is there a downside to these?

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I've seen spiral upcut and downcut endmills and I've seen upcut and downcut router bits. So if you've found some upcut bits that look good and the price is right I'd try them out. I use CMT spiral cupcut router bits all the time and love them. I would think Bosch bits would be fine too.

So what's the difference between an endmill and an upcut router bit? Ahhh ones called an endmill and ones called a router bit? The guy who might know is Don (aka RoutnAbout). Don't know if you've read this post but Don gave a lot of good info on bits: http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=400&highlight=

As always I've been little to no help. But that never has stopped me before so why should it now.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Re: Endmill == Spiral Bit ??

Post by RoutnAbout »

FastCote wrote:Just out of curiosity, are there any differences between an “endmill” and a “spiral bit”? I found a Bosch two-flute, right hand, upcut, solid carbide “spiral bit” at Lowes. It is comparable in price to those mentioned in the “Best Bit Source” thread, and Lowes is on just about every street corner, so no waiting for the UPS truck. Is there a downside to these?
Hey FastCote,

Usually when they advertise "Endmill" the tool is intended to be used on metals, and "Router Bits" are intended to be used in woods and ppossible plastics. And Yes my uneducated guess is there is a differance. But both will work. The feeds and speeds won't be the same for the two mentioned tools.

When a bit is manufactured specifically for a Router it will usually have a more aggressive rake and relief angles on the primary cutting edges on the diameter and ends. This will cut cleaner .

When a bit is manufactured specifically for metal work the relief angels of the cutting edges are less aggressive and if you use this in woods and plastics you'll probably want to slow your feed down.
I hope that helps FastCote.
dighsx aka JAY wrote:So what's the difference between an endmill and an upcut router bit? Ahhh ones called an endmill and ones called a router bit? The guy who might know is Don (aka RoutnAbout). Don't know if you've read this post but Don gave a lot of good info on bits: http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=400&highlight=

As always I've been little to no help. But that never has stopped me before so why should it now.
Always listen to Jay, If he don't know....... He knows where and how to find out!!!

Hey There to good time gang at the VcarveWizard Ranch... I've just finished reading most of the unread threads and I'm totally amazed at what everyone is doing.
Thanks again Tony and Brian for the fantastic Software.
And I can see that Jay is attempting to keep everyone in line... or would that be a vector???? dighsx... aka:JAY....aka: TheVectorizer

I can't say but have run into some unfortunate circumstances and will only appear sporadically for a while.
Now off to pull the control board out and head to FedEx again.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Hey Don good to see you're still alive, hope everything gets back to normal for you soon. As for my aka's I can think of a few more but they aren’t suitable for this forum. Hehe
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)