Material registration for profile cutout

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Material registration for profile cutout

Post by Kimon »

Ok Gang I am trying to get my mind around a simple concept. I would like to make a countour cutout of a digital print mounted on a piece of 10mm sintra. Idealy this will become an ongoing project.

Basicly I would like to print and mount my print then profile cut out the shape or shapes using vcarve. Anyone havew a clue or have done this already?

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

You probably have already considered that but, have you tried to get the file(s) from the printer/designer? Even if you have to pay for it, you may just save (make profit) at the end.

Else than that, I would hand trace the thing... just hope there's not too much curves in it! :roll: OR you could scan/photograph the thing and then bring it into some CAD for tracing. Depends on the accuracy need...

So far, my digital camera has been my best tool (with tracing software - MANY) for such whenever I can't have the CAD file.

Exotic tools:

-digitizing with probe; if there's an edge to probe and you're familiar with this procedure.

-mount the digital cam. on the carriage (or Z) and make "accurate" photography and stich 'em on imaging software. Next, tracing.

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

Hehehe, guess I wasn't too clear on the needs and the project. Lets look at it from another angle.

Lets say I have a print of 30 different shaped vehicles. I would like to mount the print to 10 ml sintra then place it on the router table. I have a countour file that I have created in Flexy Sign (or any other software program. I can import it into V-carve. What I need to do next is where I have a problem. How would you register the print so that the contour cuts are acurate and corespond with the dital print already mouted?

kevinl
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kevinl »

How about printing two small "dots" in your print. Make the dots the same size as the cutter you plan to use to cut your profiles. Put them inline along one axis and in a known location. Then run your tool down close to material center it up on one of the dots, zero out machine then jog machine to the second dot to align. I would thing you could get pretty darn close using this method.

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Link to something that you might find useful...