DRIVERS FOR GERBER DIMENSION 200Z

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
hinesigns@eastlink.ca

DRIVERS FOR GERBER DIMENSION 200Z

Post by hinesigns@eastlink.ca »

I would like to know if this program will run a Dimension 200 Gerber router :roll:

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hello,

Afraid the answer is no. This is because most of the Gerber routers have closed proprietary control systems that we are unable to communicate with. The new Gerber Sabre Routers can now be driven using industry standard G-Code data, which VCarve Wizard can create, but this is not an option for the older dimension 200.

Sorry about that.

David M

Gerber Dimension 200 Router

Post by David M »

Tony -

I read your post on this subject from Oct 2005. I also have a Gerber Dimension 200 router and am trying to find a way to run newer software on this machine. In April 2003, I was on the MasterCAM forum and I asked whether anyone there could assist with this issue. I received the following reply from Steve Landkamer in GA USA:

'...hope this helps with the Gerber Dimensions it works with the Sabre 404 router. This is what I found out yesterday when I had my hands on a Sabre 404.
With a Gerber Sabre 404 series router the control can be set to receive g-code. The option is in the “Program Setup” area on the controller’s pendant. The communications settings that should be used on the PC side are 9600,E,8,1 with software handshake(I used CIMCO Edit). The control is in a DNC mode when sending g-code. The codes that I found that work on the control are: G00, G01, G02, G03, G90, G20, M06, M05, M03, M30, and S & F. The G18 & G19 plane codes are NOT allowed.
I hope this helps others in the future.
Steve'

So, my question now is this: Assuming I can adjust the controller to accept the G-code, does your V-carve software output the G-code Steve describes and will it function correctly? Thanks for your input.

David M.

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hello David,

Thanks for the information on the G-Code options for Gerber Sabre routers.

The G-Code postprocessors in VCarve Wizard and PhotoVCarve do save very standard G--Code that matches the formats supplied by Mastercam.

The Trial versions of both VCW and PhotoVCarve save G-Code (inches or metric) for the sample files, so if the firmware on your Gerber machine can be switched to run in g-code mode, you can run these files.

If you could let us know how you get on it would be very appreciated.

Regards,
Tony