Cutting Depth constantly changing when Pocketing

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
fatham
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's 2006 Homemade

Cutting Depth constantly changing when Pocketing

Post by fatham »

I am just trying to cut out a simple project using "pocket Toolpath" in Vcarve pro.
When I view the "Preview Toolpath" it shows a smooth and level bottom surface. When I send the completed toolpath to my mach3 it seems to load OK. The problem is that the bottom surface is no where near smooth, there is as much as .05 changes on a straight level cut.
I then checked the g-code and it has "Z" commands that is telling the machine to go up and down all the time even though it is supposed to be cutting a level line at the time. As a result when the pocket is finished cutting the bottom of the pocket is not level or on the same plain as it is supposed to be.
I loaded a demo program and it had a similar pocket and it only had "Z" commands when a height change was needed otherwise there was no "Z" command in the g-code.

Any ideas ?

thanks.....fatham

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: Cutting Depth constantly changing when Pocketing

Post by metalworkz »

Hi fatham,
Can you post the file so someone on the forum might be able to see what is going on with it?
In a lot of the cases the Vectric software is not the cause and it is usually something mechanical or to do with the machine controller, but you have stated that there are multiple Z depth commands in the program for a pocketed area. Even if you can't post the file some of the information you used to create the toolpaths may be enough to try and figure it out.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: joe's rack and pinion hybrid

Post by sawmiller »

preprocessor ?
woodmizer sawmill and joe's hybrid cnc, a good combination
In the heart of Tn

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

fatham wrote:I am just trying to cut out a simple project using "pocket Toolpath" in Vcarve pro.
When I view the "Preview Toolpath" it shows a smooth and level bottom surface. When I send the completed toolpath to my mach3 it seems to load OK. The problem is that the bottom surface is no where near smooth, there is as much as .05 changes on a straight level cut.
I then checked the g-code and it has "Z" commands that is telling the machine to go up and down all the time even though it is supposed to be cutting a level line at the time. As a result when the pocket is finished cutting the bottom of the pocket is not level or on the same plain as it is supposed to be.
I loaded a demo program and it had a similar pocket and it only had "Z" commands when a height change was needed otherwise there was no "Z" command in the g-code.

Any ideas ?

thanks.....fatham
Hello Fatham,

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with the GCode.

Please can you save the VCarve Pro file - File > Save to create a .CRV file and
email it to - support [ at ] vectric [ dot ] so we can take a look.

Tony