What would be nice...

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

What would be nice...

Post by lpcsales »

is if you select an object, that the X-Y coordinates of the selected object would be displayed at the lower right of the window in VCarve Pro instead of the mouse's current position. What you want to know is where that object is positioned when you are positioning objects on the workpiece. You could care less about where your mouse is positioned. The position of the mouse is irrelevent to what is being done in a layout. Right now the only way to find out where the location of the currently selected object is at is to select the Move Selected Vectors icon. Too many 'clicks' just to get this very basic and important info. To do a successful and timely layout you need to know where the XY coords of that object you are moving is located in real time as you move it....not the mouse position.

Maybe a change for the next version?

Just a thought, and honestly, only trying to be helpful and encourage the software to be more intuitive.
Dave
Epilog 24TT 40w and Legend 36EXT 75w Laser Engravers, Roland SP-300V, BabyLoc PR600 Embroidery Machine, Panther 24" Vinyl Cutter, Mighty Presses (hat & T-Shirt), PRT48 Router

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Gee Dave some guys are so pushy... hehe Just kidding, that is a good idea. I'd like to have a recalculate all toolpaths button, but I get the feeling that's trickier to do that is seems.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Dave,
Just a thought, and honestly, only trying to be helpful and encourage the software to be more intuitive.
We appreciate the suggestions, the more people who give us feedback the better we can make the program for everybody.

With regard to your suggestion ...
X-Y coordinates of the selected object would be displayed at the lower right of the window
Which coordinate of the selected object would you expect to see displayed - the centre or the bottom left corner (or some other corner?).

You said ...
You could not care less about where your mouse is positioned. The position of the mouse is irrelevent to what is being done in a layout ...
Personally, I find the mouse cursor displaying the actual coordinates to be very useful when laying out designs but what does everyone else think?

Regards

Brian

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

I second ***pretty much*** ALL of the above!!! :D

Keep posting ideas for feature requests and enhancements!

Snaping feature might work to display such anchor position as lpcsales is looking for... :roll: Snapy-snapy?!

I too need to know where is my mouse! Add something else rather than removing this.

YEAH, re-calculate ALL toolpath would be V-E-R-Y nice! It may not be/sound as critical but just nake sure it's somewhere on the ideas/to-do list... :!: :wink: :!:

lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lpcsales »

Brian, thanks for the quick reply. I would prefer the Center of the object, but I can see where others would like the reference to be one of the corners. Maybe now it's time to make a preferences dialog where such items can be selected by the user and saved as a workspace...or somethig.

The mouse XY coords, I guess, could be useful at times, maybe if you positioned them to the top of the window or elsewhere (maybe even as a little rider that tracks with the mouse pointer on the screen). This could even be slectable on -off by the user in the preferences dialog. What's awkward with them now is that that are sitting right next to the width, height dimensions of the object, and you can quickly and easily associate the mouse coords as an object xy coord. I would definitely get them away from the other dim's.

Yes, a recalulate of all toolpaths would be good! Also, if an object has an associated toolpath and the object is in anyway moved or changed, the toolpath for this iobject should disappear...as in be automatically deleted with a iwarning message. This will prevent 'forgetting' you made a change in the object properties and unknowingly trying to cut using an out-date-toolpath. If it's removed automatically, the possibility of using an old toolpath won't exsist anymore.

A new wish item....When selecting a 3D object, it looks like they have a 'sweet spot' for being selected by. I find myself click-click-click..ing before I can get the object selected. If it could be selected by simply clicking within the objects boundaries it would save a lot of time and keep the ole mind on the job at hand.

Here's one you may be interested in, when I open a file, I notice that the filename is shown in the title bar, but somewhere along the way after making changes and playing around and I want to save the file again, I can't remember what the filename was, so I look up to the title bar and it's gone. It would be nice to keep this little sucker displayed all the time the file is open...I have a hell uv a time remembering filenames.

Thanks for listening and hope some of this helps in your software!
Dave
Epilog 24TT 40w and Legend 36EXT 75w Laser Engravers, Roland SP-300V, BabyLoc PR600 Embroidery Machine, Panther 24" Vinyl Cutter, Mighty Presses (hat & T-Shirt), PRT48 Router

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming :)
A new wish item....When selecting a 3D object, it looks like they have a 'sweet spot' for being selected by. I find myself click-click-click..ing before I can get the object selected. If it could be selected by simply clicking within the objects boundaries it would save a lot of time and keep the ole mind on the job at hand.
When selecting the 3D greyscale previews you should be able to click anywhere on the greyscale to select it. The first click should turn it blue to indicate it is selected, the second click should turn it purple indicating you are in 'transform' mode and can drag it by clicking and dragging anwhere on the image.
Here's one you may be interested in, when I open a file, I notice that the filename is shown in the title bar, but somewhere along the way after making changes and playing around and I want to save the file again, I can't remember what the filename was, so I look up to the title bar and it's gone
The filename is displayed in the titlebar when the 2D view is the active view, when the 3d view is selected it shows '3D View'. The filename is always displayed as the name of the 2d view 'tab' just below the main menu bar. I often have multiple copies of VCarve Pro running and wiil use File - Save As (and then cancel) just to check the full pathname for a currently open file.

Regards

Brian

lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lpcsales »

"Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming "..

Well, Ok...How about a select All and Select None button on the Toolpath List box. Also it would be nice if the toolpath listbox were a little longer. This is definitely another 'click-click-click ' area.

as always...just a friendly suggestion.
Dave