Strange squiggle

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Strange squiggle

Post by Kimon »

Strange squiggle appears when I simulate toolpaths in the upper left of this simple sign. It doesn't apear in the vectors can anyone see what has happend? Will this show up when I actually carve it?
Attachments
ken.jpg
(81.56 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

Here is the crv minus the 3d clipart
Attachments
ken3.crv
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 229 times

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

never mind I see it in the toolpath so I deleted the one circle and recreated it. Whatcha think caused that?

kevinl
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kevinl »

I downloaded your file and I could see it too. Did the problem go away when you recreated the line? I have seen this in oher programs and I could delete the contour and then recreate and it would be fine. Never had the problem with vcarve.

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

Create a few circles along the X axis. Select them by adding them one by one to the selection. Then hit center vectors. Watch carefully where the last added circle goes.

It is very easy to make this mistake especially if you intended to center the vectors on the material and hit the wrong icon.

Paul Z

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

I think you can make the same thing happen with text. Create the text, convert it to curves, hit center vectors. The last letter gets moved to the center of the selection.

I lost an "s" this way, and it moved into a very complicated part of the design causing overlapping polygons which made V Carve go crazy and cut through the material (simulated of course) and .... well, it took a couple of hours to figure it out.

I wouldn't classify it as a bug but one should be careful, very very careful.

Paul Z

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

thanks for the input, guess i can finish it up and start it cutting in the morning