Confirming Part/Vectors Dimensions

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Confirming Part/Vectors Dimensions

Post by Rusty »

Howdy All:

Is there a function or process within V-Carve Pro that I can verify dimensions within a DXF file that I have imported into a project, or do I have to cut the part, then measure everything to confirm the finished sizes?
Thanks all.

Rusty

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Rusty,

The dimensions of the selected vectors are displayed in the Bottom Right corner of
the screen as shown in the image below.

This shows the Width, Height and Number of Selected objects so for example if you
wish to know the exact size of the design select all the vectors and read off the size.

The overall dimensions of the job are displayed in the Bottom Left corner of the screen.

Tony
Attachments
Job dimensions.jpg
(87.46 KiB) Downloaded 101 times

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rusty »

Thanks for that Tony:
I had seen those dimensioning areas but was looking for something that would possibly show me the axact width of a slotted arc or a specific bolt circle diameter the arc was placed on.
Your program has been very accurate to date (provided the cnc machine has been tuned properly) so I will probably just cut the pieces & do my measurement inspection after.
I really like using V-Carve Pro over just using Mach3 g-code because I can pick Inside or Outside & yours takes all the tool diameters into account & does the appropiate tool positioning, very easy to do 2d profile cuts. I will be cutting some test pieces this weekend.
One other question:
In the toolpaths editing page, What is the Allowance Offset & what is the best way to use it?

Thanks.
Rusty

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Rusty,

The Allowance offset on the 2D Profile toolpath form is used to overcut / undercut around a shape.

+ve allowance cuts the shape larger
-ve allowance cuts the shape smaller

For example, to cut a shape out that needs to fit into a pre-machined pocket it might help to cut
the shape slightly smaller by say 0.010" (-ve allowance) to create a clearance between the parts
so they fit together. Size on size parts will result in an interference fit that makes parts difficult
to assemble / fit together.

I hope this makes sense,

Tony

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rusty »

So if you are cutting the inside of a circle & it is a little so small & you need the circle slightly larger, say .010", then do you redo the toolpath with a + allowance of .005" or the full .010"?
Conversely if you need the outside diameter slightly larger, then do you give a + or a - allowance?
Thanks always.

Great software, great support.
Rusty

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

MJR wrote:Thanks:
So if you are cutting the inside of a circle & it is a little so small & you need the circle slightly larger, say .010", then do you redo the toolpath with a + allowance of .005" or the full .010"?
Conversely if you need the outside diameter slightly larger, then do you give a + or a - allowance?
Thanks always.

Great software, great support.
Rusty
Rusty,
The plus will make it bigger and the minus smaller, only keep track on a inlay on what you are doing....If i inlay something i cut the pocket .01 larger and then test fit...if not...i'll bump it up another until the fit is snug.
My inlay piece is also cut out upside down with a 30 degree cutter.....makes for a really nice fit plus it keeps a little xtra glue around the edges....my pocket cut will be .005 shallow of the piece that will be inlayed....sand flush makes for zero glue lines.

Chuck