Problems with Open Vectors

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Problems with Open Vectors

Post by Rusty »

Howdy to all:
Tried out the V-Carve Pro trial edition with great success.
Purchased the real version today, but am having trouble with open vectors. Using the same DXF file I tested in the trail version, which worked great, have nothing but frustration trying to find and close open vectors. When I try to make an offset vector the screen comes up telling me how many open vectors I have. I must be missing a step somewhere because I have tried everything, I think.
Looking for help. Thanks to all:

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Hello MJR and welcome to the Forum and congratulations on the purchase of VCW Pro.

The only way to machine open vectors is to machine "On the line" at a specified depth.
If your wanting to close that vector. Select the open vector your wanting to close and then right click on the same open vector and at the bottom of the menu, click close vector, then you have 3 options,
1. Close vector with a line. (which simple draws a straight line between the ends of the selected open vector)
2. Close vector With a Smooth curve. (which draws a soft curve between both points on the selected open vector)
3. Close vector Move End Points ( which simply moves both endpoints together on selected vector)
MJR wrote:When I try to make an offset vector the screen comes up telling me how many open vectors I have.
When I select an Open vector, I also get the same warning screen, and can not offset that vector, unless I close that vector with the above suggestion. Once closed you can then offset the vector. Then you can cut and remove the line that you closed the vector with to offset it.

Unless I'm missing something.....

I suppose do a copy and attempt to scale it down , But I don't think that will give the accurate offset you are looking for.
Last edited by RoutnAbout on Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Check to see if you have any grouped vector(s) (continuous line rather than doted); if so, ungroup first. If the open vector(s) are grouped, VCP will keep telling you there is no open vector(s) but won't allow to perform such task as offset as when they are ungrouped...

Does that help?

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rusty »

Thanks RoutnAbout & Paco.
I kept trying what you, RoutnAbout, suggested but actually what Paco said was exactly what I was doing wrong. I grouped first before closing vectors. Thanks guys.

Why is it when I am selecting a whole bunch of circles, that will be drilled, the majority of them have dotted lines but some appear to have solid lines. Would I have two lines stacked on top of each other in that case or is it something that I don't need to concern myself with?

Am going to cut this project tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Later guys.

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

I'm going to guess that they maybe duplicate circles that are grouped
________
Don

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rusty »

If they are duplicate circles then will they be cut twice or will the code see them as only one process to deal with?
How would I delete the extras if they would create a problem?
Thanks.

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

MJR wrote:How would I delete the extras if they would create a problem?
They probably will cut it twice if you selected them during toolpath creation.

You can either right click on a blank spot on the material or You can also select Edit from the main toolbar menu and then choose " Select All Duplicate Vectors" and it will find all duplicate vectors and will be a dotted line. Then hit the delete key.
________
Don

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Continuous magenta line mean grouped. If they aren't grouped, duplicate still will show as doted.

Yes, it'll be better to delete duplicate unless it's intend to keep 'em... I believe it will create problem with toolpath such as waste time and maybe failure to create the toolpath.

Grouped vectors doesn't show duplicate neither as open; I'm not 100% sure it's a bug but it sure prevent the user to see 'em when they are grouped... in fact, VCP not only keep 'em from showing but just act as they we're not and tell so.