Clock Face - Spacing the numbers around a circle

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
hoops10
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark

Re: Clock Face - Spacing the numbers around a circle

Post by hoops10 »

I was thinking of using this: https://www.klockit.com/q-80-quartz-clo ... undle.html

It's 5/8" depth so that is what I was making my measurements on. I am guessing pine or poplar as my material. Clock will be around 16" in diameter.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Since you are looking to carve the face of the clock instead of using a flat (thin) printed face, you really should look at clock mechanisms with longer shafts. Taking into consideration the thickness of the wooden face plate just in front of the mechanism should be at the very least 1/8" then assuming you want the minute hand to extend over the numbers you have to allow enough clearance for that also.

Plne and Poplar are both soft woods and will be difficult to cut good number out of, the number will have a tendency to chip. Warping is also a factor to consider. I'd recommend something in a clear grain hard wood. Quarter sawn would be good.
John
Maker of Chips

hoops10

Post by hoops10 »

Thanks for the recommendations for the clock mechanism. I will look at quarter sawn. Any other suggestions for wood? Will the harder wood work the 1/8" and 1/4" end mill bits I plan to use more than poplar/pine?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

The bits should be just fine it's more about speed, feed and DOC. I recommend you try cutting your clock out of something like MDF first to see if everything is going to work.
John
Maker of Chips

hoops10

Post by hoops10 »

Great idea, I have some spare MDF too. Thanks.