Which bits should I aquire?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Which bits should I aquire?

Post by Rusty »

Just recently finished building my cnc router.
New to the cnc world. Will be looking seriously at VCarve Pro.
Which router bit style/shapes/sizes should I be looking to buy to get great results with VCarve Pro & PhotoCarve?
Thanks to all that reply.

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Re: Which bits should I acquire?

Post by CRFultz »

MJR wrote:Just recently finished building my cnc router.
New to the cnc world. Will be looking seriously at VCarve Pro.
Which router bit style/shapes/sizes should I be looking to buy to get great results with VCarve Pro & PhotoCarve?
Thanks to all that reply.
Welcome to the Vectric Forum MJR.
Congratulations on finishing your CNC. Mine too is homebuilt, so I know the work it took to get er' done. :D

The type of bits are going to depend upon what type of work you plan on doing the most.
As far has the VCarving process, any V shaped cutter will give you a nice professional result.
It depends on how you use them.
A 60 and a 90 degree bit will accomplish alot for you. You will also want to get some straight cutters to profile cut your work. And since VCarve Pro now has the ability to use shape cutters, you can get a ogee and maybe a roundover.
When I started using the software all I had was a few straight cutters and one 60 degree. There was alot of things to be done with just those. Start small and work your way up to a good variety.

Let us know if we can help.
Chuck

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Hi MJR
As chuck pointed out a couple of good 60 & 90 V cutters and some end mills will get most jobs done nicely.
Once you start working with your machine and generate business you will get a feel for what type of work you
will be doing and therefore a better handle of any special tooling needs you may have.
Just make sure your tools have a true tip and the geometry is correct.

Regards
Bart

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi MJR,

Just in case you may not have spotted the Topic on Tooling Suppliers, the following thread
contains links to tool suppliers that Forum members have purchased from and may be of
interest to you,

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278

Hope this helps,

Tony

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Post by Rusty »

Thanks,
I did see the tool link. Seems to be lots to choose from. OK, 60 & 90 degree, but what diameters & should the bits have sharp points or a flat at the tip?
To do lithopanes, do you use the same bits or do I have to get some carving bits? Again, which would be the general purpose ones?
Is there someone or someplace to check out for routing solid-surface (corian)?
Remember to drop me a line when the demo of PRO is ready for checking out.
As the software developes will I need to upgrade my computer?
Thanks guys

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I'd get a 90 degree 0.5 inch vbit, a 0.25 and a 0.125 spiral upcut and a 0.125 or 0.25 inch ball nosed bit. After you get that then I'd think about getting some small ball nosed bit like a 1/32nd. With those bits you'll be able to do just about anything you want.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

MCLS has a good selection of bits and good prices. You should be able to tool up without spending to much money. My recommendation are about the same as Jay’s
60 degree V bits ½ diam.
90 degree V bits ½ diam. If you want to error on the side of caution get 3/4 diam.
!/8 and 1/4 inch end mills.
Large diam. straight bit for surfacing your spoil board.
Any bit that cuts wood will cut solid surface material. I even cut S.S.M. on my scroll saw with wood cutting blades.
As for lithophanes I can’t help you out. I sure the people cutting lithophanes will chime in here with their recommendations.
Dan
Edited
The Vectric programs have a tool database that you can call up. That would be a excellent place to look for tooling needs and they come in two flavors. Inch and metric.

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

You can get a ideal of whats required to do a litho from here

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... arted.html

the litho's I've done were finished off with a .04 ball cutter.

Chuck