Finishing MDF Kitchen Cupboard Doors

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Signs & Things

Finishing MDF Kitchen Cupboard Doors

Post by Signs & Things »

I'm a new user of both VCW and Shopbot mainly to make signs but also need to make some Art Deco style kitchen cupboard doors from 19mm MDF based on the VCW sample in 'Case Studies'. Can someone tell me the best way to finish MDF for these doors please? I'm thinking oil based paint over primer/undercoat?

Thank you in advance,

Bruce
Bruce @ Signs & Things
'Carramar'
Red Hill, Victoria, Australia

Gene Rhodes

Post by Gene Rhodes »

Hi Bruce,
The best way i have found to finish mdf is to sand it with a high grit paper to close the pores in the mdf .this way it doesn't soak up as much primer
After that prime with 2 coats primer . I use a lacquer primer called m.l. cambells magnaclaw with a magnamax top finish. I don't know if its available there or not , Lacquer will dry fast and get very hard . With mdf you MUST make sure that you get a good seal on the wood. If water gets in it swells terribly I'm sure you know that though. The primer is the trick to a good finish. the better the primer coat looks the better the finish coat will look Good luck Gene

Signs & Things

Post by Signs & Things »

Many thanks Gene - I never gave Laquer a thought! I will post the end result in due course - thanks again, Bruce :D
Bruce @ Signs & Things
'Carramar'
Red Hill, Victoria, Australia