Cabinet doors for wife

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
connalj
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop max

Cabinet doors for wife

Post by connalj »

HI all,

I have a Shopbot Desktop max and my wife wants new cabinet doors for the kitchen. Has anyone every made them from MDF ?

If so, what bits will I need (there are a lot of choices) to do the following:

1. Cut the inner profile?
2. Cut out the door from the sheet of MDF?
3. If possible make something close to what this guy is making in the video?

Thanks all.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: Cabinet doors for wife

Post by dealguy11 »

I do it every day. Will be giving a talk on it at the next Aspire camp.

You are right, there are lots of choices. It's hard to see the exact profiles he's using. Based on what I'm seeing, this would be what I'd set up.

1. A larger end mill to hog out the area around the panel profile - a 1/2" end mill would do the job. I would probably use a larger 1 1/4" bit to speed this up, but not necessary.
2. Same 1/2" end mill to cut the steps around the panel profile
2a - It's not clear to me if the bottom step on the panel profile is rounded over. If it is, you could use a small plunge roundover bit for that.
3. A 1/8" end mill to square up the verticals on the insides of the rails and stiles
4. A 90 degree v-carve bit for the angled profile in the center of the panel profile
5. a small ballnose - 1/8" would work well - to cut the molding profiles with moulding toolpaths
6. A cutout bit for the door and moldings. I use a 3/8" compression bit for this, but the 1/2" end mill would work just as well.

Alternatively you could cut the panel profile using a moulding toolpath, with a 1/8" ballnose. Would just take a lot longer to cut.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: Cabinet doors for wife

Post by dealguy11 »

Should also mention a few other things:

1. Hope you have better dust collection than shown in that video!!
2. You need to use high-quality MDF for this. DO NOT try this with the stuff you buy at Lowes and Home Depot - it is fuzzy in the center and will not sand or paint well. Options include Weyerhauser Glacier Green Super Refined (used to be called Plum Creek), Trupan Double Refined, and Medex. Medex is my favorite for kitchens as it is water resistant.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost