Your Opinions/Comments Remote Access Training/Help

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Your Opinions/Comments Remote Access Training/Help

Post by sharkcutup »

I am interested in getting opinions/comments from forum members as to your feelings towards Remote Access Training and/or One-on-One Problem Solving (for Newbies).

Examples: Understanding Various Depth Settings, How to create a form tool for the Tool Database, etc....

Would it be beneficial?

Tell me what you think!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Your Opinions/Comments Remote Access Training/Help

Post by TReischl »

Anything that helps someone learn is beneficial.

I am not so sure that remote access training is all that beneficial since Vectric provides in depth video tutorials. The issue seems to be getting the horses over to the watering hole and then having them drink. But, my experience tells me when someone actually pays for something, like training, they start to drink. What is interesting is quite a few folks don't seem to realize part of what they paid for when they purchased a Vectric product is those training tutorials. They also do not realize they paid for information contained in this forum. After about 13 years here I have lost count of the number of times someone has asked about creating a form tool. I suppose it is just easier to type the question rather than do a little searching. Must say, I am also guilty when it comes to that. Part of the problem is that eventually the amount of information becomes overwhelming and finding it is more difficult than just starting fresh.

A lot of this has to do with the whole "instant gratification" we have all become accustomed to. So yes, having a one on one personal instructor would work. A person you can contact who responds almost immediately. But come to think of it, that is what happens for the most part on this forum. Something you do not get with one on one is the benefit of multiple viewpoints like one gets here.

You asked a question, so I am going to ask one in return: What are you proposing?
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

+1 Ted...
John
Maker of Chips

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Just looking to see if there would be an interest at the present time. If there is a sufficient Interest I will move forward from there.

Thank you guys for your opinions and asking! Great comments too!!!

Sharkcutup
Last edited by sharkcutup on Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V-Carve Pro 12.004

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Personally I don't see a need for it but I see more and more people both through work and my hobbies who want someone to answer their question directly and instantly rather than having to watch a video that contains the answer or read a help page. Problem is, in my experience, those same people want that help for free and will suck up an enormous amount of time.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Question: Adrian

What about those who are willing to pay/donate for the sessions?

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Depends on how much it costs to setup, whether it's being done as a cottage industry or as a fully fledged business and what you cost your own time as. My gut feeling is it would only work as something to make pin money on the side but having watched how much money people give to others on YouTube for not even one-to-one I think I may well be out of touch!

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

+2 Ted

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

To Adrian,

Setup is done by you with just a little of your time at your computer or just the matter of clicking a link to join a meeting session and accessing it with an assigned password. It would probably be run by just me at the moment during U.S. Central Time say from 8:00 am to 10:00pm

Costs for the potential consumer would probably be donations (as what they feel it is worth to them and of course they must consider too my time involved) at first. If that does not pan out then it would probably be a cost per presentation session (which are usually set to an hour long session paid in advance this way I know they are serious to commit to the session) or a one-on-one problem solving session (at an hourly rate paid in advance this way I know they are serious to commit to the session).

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Mr Shark,

You keep using the words "donate" and "donations".

Just my two cents worth, but I would not use those words. Donations are something that is given to a charity. There is also the connotation that a transfer of money is not required to receive the service or goods.

There is another reason, people perceive the value of something by how much is charged. I actually heard the following one day at a trade show: "I have a brand new mercedes 500 that I will sell you for $1000." The next thing heard was "What is wrong with it?". This was a marketing guy illustrating that not charging a proper amount causes a potential customer to question the worth of the product or service.

So my advice to you is: Figure out what your time is worth to you and then charge that amount with no apologies. A hint here, take a look at what consultants charge for a one day training class per student in a technical field. They do not work for peanuts and they do not pay their own expenses. Knowledge has value. Your real challenge is marketing.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Of course too my time is valuable so I would try to lead the client who has a problem if I cannot help too this Forum, Vectric's Tutorial's, Videos and only if and when necessary Vectric's Support but if all else has failed then I'd be willing to help within in my scope limitations (Desktop to V-Carve). I do not own Aspire thereby noting of course that this board index title at times has mentioned things within its software.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Other considerations

Post by Martin Reid »

Dear Sharkcutup

My thoughts are less about the financial viability of the training but more about the content! For example who will choose the content of your sessions and how will you test the effectiveness?

For example in Further Education the curriculum is determined by awarding bodies who have lead organisations steering the content towards industry needs. Delivery organisations take this curriculum and develop learning programmes and schemes of work working towards assessments set by the Awarding Body to ascertain the delivery and understanding of the set curriculum. From this a participant looking for woodworking training could choose to attend Site Carpentry, Bench Joinery or Shop Fitting etc.

How will they choose your sessions?

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin

PS and finally; will you be insured? If someone 'attends' one of your sessions then has an accident who hold the liability?

Others..
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15705

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Mr Shark,

You keep using the words "donate" and "donations".

Just my two cents worth, but I would not use those words. Donations are something that is given to a charity. There is also the connotation that a transfer of money is not required to receive the service or goods.

There is another reason, people perceive the value of something by how much is charged. I actually heard the following one day at a trade show: "I have a brand new mercedes 500 that I will sell you for $1000." The next thing heard was "What is wrong with it?". This was a marketing guy illustrating that not charging a proper amount causes a potential customer to question the worth of the product or service.

So my advice to you is: Figure out what your time is worth to you and then charge that amount with no apologies. A hint here, take a look at what consultants charge for a one day training class per student in a technical field. They do not work for peanuts and they do not pay their own expenses. Knowledge has value. Your real challenge is marketing.
Let me give you some background on me: All my CNC projects built since I purchased my machine in March 2016 have been given as presents, and/or sold with the all profits going to Help "Families In Need". If you take a look at my website hoganscnccraft.com/shop there is a donate button at the bottom of the page, all those donations go to help "Families In Need" along with anything sold on that website!

I am interested in helping people whether it be helping on this forum or elsewhere. I, in my senior years, am not going to become a so-called 'couch potato'! I enjoy woodworking!!!

Now if I may ask -- what is wrong with that??

Been an interesting Topic --- Thank You All for your replies, comments, and advice. It has been truly enlightening!!! :)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Mr. Shark, I did not say anything was wrong with your generosity. Then again, you did not make it apparent that your intention was to donate all proceeds from your efforts. However, I will still stand by my advice as to not sell your time for "donations" and also to not undersell yourself by doing so. That will yield more money that you can donate to the charities you support.

Not sure how this will work out for you. Between all the videos Aspire produces, the forum and even more available on YouTube it might be an uphill struggle, but then, most struggles are uphill. . . . .

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Mr. Shark, I did not say anything was wrong with your generosity. Then again, you did not make it apparent that your intention was to donate all proceeds from your efforts. However, I will still stand by my advice as to not sell your time for "donations" and also to not undersell yourself by doing so. That will yield more money that you can donate to the charities you support.
You are right my first intentions were not out there and maybe they should have been I apologize for that! I was just at the time looking for opinions/comments and or thoughts on the Topic. Well, all is good now I have accomplished my goal by getting those opinions/comments and or thoughts on the Topic here within this thread.

Thank you comments/advice for as I have said in a previous post it has been truly enlightening!!! :)

Oh and you are right about the "Uphill Struggle" indeed!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004