Your Opinions/Comments Remote Access Training/Help

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Your Opinions/Comments Remote Access Training/Help

Post by Adrian »

Dan O wrote:Please allow me to add my thoughts. The tutorials are an excellent way to learn the "how" of the program. But leaves many questions about the "why" unanswered. That's where I struggle. For instance, I'm doing the layout on the "waving bear" sign hack. Adding the bear's paws to the edge of the sign, the models merge into each other. I know I can tilt the paws, I can change the model height, or I can add to the base. The tutorials don't explain which, in this instance, is the right way to go. How do I know which is best? I'm guessing, there's a right answer. Asking an experienced user seems a reasonable path to take. I don't see that as "taking the easy way out" or looking for "instant gratification". I see it as learning from the masters. That's how legacy knowledge is passed on. I would be willing to "donate" to a good cause and learn something too.
I think that is something a lot of people struggle with but perhaps not for the reasons they think. So much of it is down to the actual look the person creating the piece wants, there is often no "right" way and no "wrong" way. Each approach is totally valid depending on what the end goal is. Also, even without the artistic element, there is often multiple ways to do exactly the same thing in the software all of which yield identical results. Look at the recent discussions on radiusing rectangles and resizing shapes as examples of that.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

I'm of the ilk where there are folks who would love to have someone walk them through some or maybe a lot of the cnc stuff. I'm including some equipment use basics and maybe not so basics, software use and woodworking in general. A lot of us on this forum have some level of woodworking experience, computer experience and maybe cnc experience. I'm like Scott55 that when I got into cnc not only did I have to learn most of it on my own but I had to contend with defective equipment and a company that had terrible service. There are plenty of folks out there that don't have any or some of those experiences and would love to have someone help them. (Sorry, getting distracted by an owl calling outside. It's going to be a great day!). I'm also a proponent of learning by any method helps. Most of do this everyday. We talk to each other here on the Forum, we watch YouTube videos, we read and the list goes on. I have grandchildren doing their education via distance learning and also in the classroom.
So, in a nutshell, I say give it a try. Good luck.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Adrian wrote,
I think that is something a lot of people struggle with but perhaps not for the reasons they think. So much of it is down to the actual look the person creating the piece wants, there is often no "right" way and no "wrong" way. Each approach is totally valid depending on what the end goal is. Also, even without the artistic element, there is often multiple ways to do exactly the same thing in the software all of which yield identical results. Look at the recent discussions on radiusing rectangles and resizing shapes as examples of that.
Great Point and I totally agree!

There are so many aspects/variables within each and every project. There are many ways of creating and/or doing the same thing. It all boils down to the individuals final goal. Sure there are some projects that are cut and dry. But there are some projects where adjusting or changing an element or object that could very well lead to an interesting and unique outcome. Even some changes can become a so-called "happy incident"!
Optimized-toy_cars_1.jpg
Note the last car on right the cut in the back top this is a "happy incident" (a sunroof/moonroof) wrong part of car but just trying to make a point "happy incidents" can happen too on occasion.

Great post and insight Thank You Adrian! :)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Aussie and Dan O you have been private messaged. Please check your private messages here on this forum.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004