Topo and road map

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jamin35008
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds Lead 1010

Topo and road map

Post by jamin35008 »

I only have Desktop so this might be impossible for me to accomplish but I was wondering if it's possible in aspire even if I cant do it with desktop....

When trying to create a Topo map would it be possible to take an STL created from this site: https://touchterrain.geol.iastate.edu/ and lay/create a road map, lakes and rivers on top of the STL making it possible to carve or laser into the topo design?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Topo and road map

Post by adze_cnc »

You should be able to do this in "Desktop". Look in the help file for projecting 2D cutting path to 3D model.

jamin35008

Post by jamin35008 »

I found out that I'm able to pull the STL file into desktop however, I'm just not sure if if its possible to "lay" (not sure of the proper term) the road/lake/river vectors on top of the STL vectors so that when carving the bit would follow the contours of the STL?

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre408PRO-10HPHSD-10posATC-WinCNC

Post by Mark Bolton »

Tricky thing that you may find depending on your terrain, and the size of the model is the elevation changes for various features on the Topo. We've done this a few times and it get get relatively complex depending on the type terrain (geographical area), the features your wanting to put on, and so on. Roads for instance almost never follow the contour of the topo, they incorporate highway cuts, and constructed grades that are different from the many topo's. Same with water ways, rivers, and so on. Less so with lakes. But rivers have elevation changes that can make it tricky.

A lot for me when we have done them depends on how much area your incorporating into your carving and the total elevation changes throughout the area.

jamin35008

Post by jamin35008 »

Say I import the svg file of the road map (forget rivers) I want to place on the topo map. Trace those and create v carve vectors. Could those be placed on the Topo STL file and if so would they follow the contours of the topo?

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Look at what Steven said in the first response.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre408PRO-10HPHSD-10posATC-WinCNC

Post by Mark Bolton »

Yes, As he said, you can project your road map vectors onto the topo but they may look a little odd when you go to carve them. If you project them they will ride up and down over the hills/mountains (if there are any) and then if you leave them flat they will likely hit and miss or just carve as a slot.

You will be able to see your options when you simulate the toolpaths.

jamin35008

Post by jamin35008 »

Okay....thanks everyone. I will see what happens. Is that file within the forum or on the main site?

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

jamin35008 wrote:Is that file within the forum or on the main site?
To what file are you referring??

jamin35008

Post by jamin35008 »

adze_cnc wrote:You should be able to do this in "Desktop". Look in the help file for projecting 2D cutting path to 3D model.
Mentioned in second post. I highlighted in red....

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Maybe this will help a little?
https://support.vectric.com/tips-and-tr ... ideo_id=11

More content is in the Help file in the program itself.
Sorry if I came across harsh...cutting all day and screwing up by the numbers on 4 hours sleep:(

Yeah Mark, I can see your point on mountain/valley terrain with tunnel/bridges and such...depending on model height or going to a small steep area....
Collet cutting might be a concern, as the collet nut doesn't cut well! :wink:
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

jamin35008

Post by jamin35008 »

scottp55 wrote:Maybe this will help a little?
https://support.vectric.com/tips-and-tr ... ideo_id=11

More content is in the Help file in the program itself.
Sorry if I came across harsh...cutting all day and screwing up by the numbers on 4 hours sleep:(

Yeah Mark, I can see your point on mountain/valley terrain with tunnel/bridges and such...depending on model height or going to a small steep area....
Collet cutting might be a concern, as the collet nut doesn't cut well! :wink:

Not at all! Thank you for the link.

Now I understand what Mark is talking about with your comment Scott. I would be creating this topo model quite small. The top of the mountains would be less than 1" or so tall but I understand your concern now.

I also thought about using my laser to etch the road map and focusing it to be several inches off the material to avoid any terrain issues. I understand the the focus might get distorted due to the different materiel heights but I guess I would have to how it looked? Just a thought....

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Location of "help file"
Location of "help file"