Microsoft ends support for Windows 7

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Microsoft ends support for Windows 7

Post by Rcnewcomb »

If you are still running Windows 7 this may be of interest to you: Windows 7 End of Life Support Information - Microsoft
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Re: Microsoft ends support for Windows 7

Post by rscrawford »

I have never updated the computer running WinCNC on my Cobra, and its windows 7 from 2011. Its also not connected to the internet. Still runs like a dream. I'm not concerned about the end of support.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

I have been concerned about this, the laptop I use my Vcarve on runs windows 7, I am thinking about either disconnecting it from the web and transferring everything to it via thumb drive when needed or trying parallels on a MacBook Pro I have kicking around.
Scott T

@scottscnc

spyderxxx
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: my own design

Post by spyderxxx »

You can still upgrade windows 7 to 10 for free. Google it . I did 2 machines last week.

Ed

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

I tried windows 10 on the old Asus I am running my VCarve on unfortunately it did not run very well it really slowed the old thing down and I ended up rolling back to 7.
Scott T

@scottscnc

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

On the page:

" While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended."

After 10 years they are finally telling us this? I could have told them that almost ten years ago, LOL.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Kind of like Windows XP. After they quit supporting it, people still are using it. The laptop that runs my plasma cutter still runs off Windows XP. I have a couple of Desktops that have Window 7, which runs my older files, that won't run on Windows 10 and I don't want to spend the several thousand dollars upgrading the software. I have Norton Virus protection on both, so I'm not too concerned about Microsoft quitting the support for Window 7.

Gary

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I liked Win 7 - but I have upgraded to Win 10 a LONG time ago.

All is well.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

I have all of my computers that go online updated to Windows 10. 5 of the 6 were updated for free. The 6th, which I just did a couple weeks ago, wasn't eligible for the free update, so I went-a-Googlin', and found a legit online Windows 10 key seller. I paid around $40, and Microsoft verified the key with a phone call to them... It was easy.

I got my 10 key from Kinguin.net, but there are others.

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

When I picked up my CNC it ran win95 for the interface PC, 2 years ago I upgraded to XP , cant go any further because I need to use a piece of interface software that is only 32bit

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

You might check in to the Win10 upgrade a bit further, Win10 64bit can run 32bit software, with exceptions....
John
Maker of Chips

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

rscrawford wrote:I have never updated the computer running WinCNC on my Cobra, and its windows 7 from 2011. Its also not connected to the internet. Still runs like a dream. I'm not concerned about the end of support.
You are not the only one, can't think of 1 good reason to update my machines PC - If it ain't broke then, by god, do not try to fix it ! I can only imagine the dire, end of the world update messages I'd be getting if I connected it, then have it take half a day to update and after 14 reboots, find out that this don't work and that don't work, no thanks.
Doug

RM-Wood
Model of CNC Machine: 6040-CNCEST-E1500W

Post by RM-Wood »

Another option would be run win7 in VirtualBox running on win10 or Linux ect..
Thats what I may do some day but not to worried about it, I have to run Win7 32 bit OS for my copy of mach3, I have McAfee antivirus and I wont miss the "Windblows" updates and reboots on my shop PC! Maybe LinuxCNC will someday work with USB CNC :)

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

RM-Wood wrote:Another option would be run win7 in VirtualBox running on win10 or Linux ect..
Thats what I may do some day but not to worried about it, I have to run Win7 32 bit OS for my copy of mach3, I have McAfee antivirus and I wont miss the "Windblows" updates and reboots on my shop PC! Maybe LinuxCNC will someday work with USB CNC :)
I have Mach3 running no problems in Windows 10. . . . .
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

TReischl wrote:
RM-Wood wrote:Another option would be run win7 in VirtualBox running on win10 or Linux ect..
I have Mach3 running no problems in Windows 10. . . . .
I am the same as RM-Wood... 32 bit Ted. My mach3 won't run properly if I switch to 64 bit. I get constant BSOD. And that is no fun, esp when I am in the middle of a 2 hour carve job. I switched back to 32 bit and never had an issue since. And I'll stick with Win7 on my CNC computer.

I do like the speed of Win10 boot and shut downs. Microsoft finally got that right. Took them a whole 20+ years... lol. Win7 wasn't real bad. But XP was pathetic. I could power up and go make a pot of coffee, eat a donut or two, skim the newspaper, come back and it "might" be ready.