Failed to open file: Code 1

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
robbwk
Model of CNC Machine: 3DTEK Heavy Mill

Failed to open file: Code 1

Post by robbwk »

Anyone know how to resolve this error? See attachment. If I try to open and existing file, it will display this error. If I double-click on a .crv file it will display this error.

I do, occasionally, rearrange my V-Carve job folders but, I would not have thought that this would cause Vectric software to freak out.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
vectric-code 1.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Failed to open file: Code 1

Post by mtylerfl »

Is your File Association set properly to point to your VCarve software when double-clicking to open a .crv file?

Since you are double-clicking to open the .crv, check to be SURE you have the correct “Open with” setting pointing to the VCarve software version you are currently using.

Do your files open ok via the File/Open menu when you already have the VCarve software running?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Code 1 is generally that something else has the file opened (replication, anti-virus, cloud backup etc) or it's corrupted in my experience.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

If you are using Google Drive or Microsoft One Drive, or for that matter any other cloud based backup system, that system probably has the file open for back-up and preventing the program from opening it. Try going to the folder where the file is located, right click and select copy from the popup menu. Right click again and select Paste. This will create a copy with the same filename with a (1) on the end. Try opening it. To me, this seems like odd behavior because, under normal conditions, V-carve or Aspire allows the file to be open in another instance of the program but, it seems to work.
Steve

robbwk
Model of CNC Machine: 3DTEK Heavy Mill

Post by robbwk »

First of all, thank you to those who have kindly responded. Much appreciated.

1. My file association for the .crv is set to V-Carve Pro application. I don't usually double-click on a .crv to load the application. I tend to launch V-Carve and then Open an existing file
2. I don't use off-site storage or services as I have my own external storage systems in a RAID 1 array (for redundancy in case a drive fails)
3. I have no other application that uses .crv files and I have not used any other application to try and open those files

I'm still getting this error, this morning in fact. The interesting thing, that I didn't mention, is that if I insert the 'workshop' USB stick into my local workstation and then use V-Carve to open the same file from that USB stick, it opens it every time without fail. I can then overwrite the 'local' file with the remote file and after that V-Carve will open the local file successfully. The .crv file, that I keep on my local workstation external storage system, (Network Drive E:/Jobs), and send to the USB (via MASSO Controller G3 Wi-Fi using the MASSO remote application) is the one that I have problems with. When I create a job using V-Carve I don't keep the files on my workstation, for obvious reasons. I work from files on the external storage. They are local when I'm working with them but, in reality they are on external storage. Maybe this network address is causing a problem? Can't see why though as other folks send their files to public networks (Google Cloud etc) without any problems.

FYI: The MASSO Controller G3 has a Wi Fi chipset. This enables me to send my V-Carve files to the USB that sits in the G3 controller (in my workshop, which is some way from my office) rather than having to walk the USB from location to location. Because of this current file problem I have to use the remote USB to be able to edit any existing files in V-Carve Pro. This can't be done directly on the USB so, I have to bring the USB into the office and download the file from there. It's an inconvenience but, no too painful. Having invested in the MASSO Controller because of its advanced features I would like to exploit its technologies fully. The Wi-Fi is very good and very convenient.

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

Most likely the error is caused by some other application accessing the file. But to just rule out other things I would try copy the job from your network drive E:\ to your local drive over network (rather via USB stick) and try to open it from your local drive.
If that succeeds then I would check whether any application is accessing your network drive (on any computer that have access to it). The tool that you use to manage your network drive may be able to list used files.

I hope this helps.

Greg K

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I find this - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ads/handle - a very useful tool to see what is hanging onto file handles. Sorted out many an issue for me as have other programs in the suite.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Adrian wrote:I find this - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ads/handle - a very useful tool to see what is hanging onto file handles. Sorted out many an issue for me as have other programs in the suite.
Definitely added to the toolbox. :D