New to Design & Make

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
denisddion@gmail.com
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom I2R

New to Design & Make

Post by denisddion@gmail.com »

I'm a new to CNC and Design & Make.
I have downloaded some files from Design & Make but I am trying to figure out what tools to use in order to cut my project. The one I did put together says that it would take 1 hour for roughing with a 1/4" EM then 15 hrs with a 1/4 ball nose and then 51hrs for a 1/8" ball nose.
Is there a way to cut this time down or is this normal?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: New to Design & Make

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi,

It is certainly possible to take that long, if the project is large and/or the CNC is “slow” (or if Toolpath feedrates have to be set slow due to the machine limitations).

However, it may be more likely that the Time Estimate is incorrect. The Scale Factor setting can be changed and has a direct relationship to time estimations. So what setting is best? Only you can determine that over a period of running a dozen files or so.

There is a brief explanation of that in your software manual, but the gist is you run files and write down the actual time(s) it takes to run. Then adjust the Scale Factor to match your actual time. This is a “process”, as sometimes you’ll be running files that are all 2D operations - sometimes a mix of 3D carving. The Scale Factor setting will be different for each type of job. At best, you’ll compile a good “guess Factor” that will usually come fairly close for future project Time Estimates.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

denisddion@gmail.com
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom I2R

Post by denisddion@gmail.com »

Thanks for the feedback

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

You’re welcome.

Review your settings for your tools. The “15 hours” for the 1/4” Ballnose and the “51 hours” for the 1/8” Ballnose is especially concerning - unless your job is humongous in size, I can’t imagine it taking that long.

So, what are the overall dimensions of the job you are setting up?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC