SketchUp to VCarve pro, what am I missing?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
lookout888
Model of CNC Machine: Custom openbuilds blackblox

SketchUp to VCarve pro, what am I missing?

Post by lookout888 »

Hello, I am new to VCarve so i am pretty sure i am missing something simple. I created a simple SketchUp file ( the 4 sides of a drawer) and am trying to import it into vcarve.

I have tried to make a new file. Then go to file, import component/3D Model. This imports it but does not break it up or allow me to rotate each piece on the surface to be cut.
I have tried to make a new file, then go to import vectors. Now this does separate the pieces, but it seems the vectors are different for each piece. For example the to sides which are the same but mirrored. The one dado is a vector and i can just set a endmill patch to the depth of the dado I want( and the other vector is just the raised part. The other, I have to select both vectors as the as the dado vector is around the whole piece. Now when I want to do the end mill path around the whole out side, it works for 3 of the 4 pieces but the 1 does not have a vector around the whole piece.

Is this expected behavior? or am i doing something wrong? Want to figure this out before I make a lot bigger projects.
I have tried to include the Skp file but it is not allowed, so I can just include the crv.

Thank you for any help or assistance. And sorry if this is a simple question.
Mike
Attachments
drawer.crv
(104.5 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: SketchUp to VCarve pro, what am I missing?

Post by Adrian »

You import it as a 3D model if you want to machine it with 3D toolpaths. If you want to machine it as profile cuts (seems like you do) then importing as a 2D job is the way to do it. How it imports depends a lot on how you've drawn it. You've got overlapping vectors etc there so I guess that's how you drew it? You could try turning the groups off in the import.

Personally I never design in Sketchup. I draw everything in VCarve and export it to Sketchup if the client wants a 3D model.

You can attach the SKP file by zipping it first.

lookout888

Post by lookout888 »

Thank you for the reply,
I am used to messing around with SketchUp as I like the push/pull configuration. This is a very simple ""test"", I know it would be just as easy to make it in vcarve. But I feel I would be more comfortable making it in SketchUp( I am going to definitely try to play with doing more in vcarve). The model should be pretty simple, 4 separate pieces, each as a component made.

I appropriate all the help and advice!
Mike
Attachments
Drawer.zip
(61.48 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I think your problem might be that the faces on one of the sides is reversed. If you do a reverse face operation in Sketchup that should sort it.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

I would not import these as 3d models. Import them as 2d vectors and you have all the vectors required to set up standard pocket and profile toolpaths, which will machine faster and more cleanly than 3d models. Parts with vertical faces are not good candidates for 3d machining.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

dealguy11 wrote:I would not import these as 3d models. Import them as 2d vectors and you have all the vectors required to set up standard pocket and profile toolpaths, which will machine faster and more cleanly than 3d models. Parts with vertical faces are not good candidates for 3d machining.
He is importing them as 2D vectors.

lookout888

Post by lookout888 »

Thank you for teaching me something new, never had to deal with faces before I would think this would have messed up my 3d printing but seems the software i used did not care about them. :) I arranged all faces to the front, but still have a discrepancy between the left and right side. Going to try and explain this the best I can. The one side, if I click the bottom line, it seems the vector is the whole object. The other side, when i click the bottom line i get the lines that just make up the Dado's. I am pretty sure this is something i did wrong, but just don't know what. I have attached a screenshot of what i am talking about. Don't judge the awesome highlighter skills! :)
Attachments
sides.PNG

lookout888

Post by lookout888 »

So there was definitely something wrong with one of the sides. I tried to edit it and it was acting strange so I deleted that side and copied it from the other side. Now they all came across the same. It is interesting the each side does not have 3 vectors, one for the whole rectangle. one for the dado and one for the non dado. I had to draw a vector around each one for the cutout. I am going to have to start playing with designing right in vcarve, i just really like the visual of sketchup.

Another weird thing, when you add tabs to something like a rectangle, it auto puts them in strange places. Would think it would find the 4 longest sides and centers rather then corners and such( yes i know they can be moved just weird default).

Thank you for the replies and knowledge. Excited to keep playing and learning. They have some good videos and also seems to be a good community.

Mike