Toolpath Optimization -Cutting air

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
SRiddle68
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade CNC w/Mach4

Toolpath Optimization -Cutting air

Post by SRiddle68 »

I had a project that involved v-carving in a grid pattern into a flat board. I drew a horizontal line and a vertical one. I then arrayed them both vertically and horizontally respectively to create my grid. I used "2D profile toolpath" to cut a V, .125 deep. My issue is that it would cut a horizontal line from right to left, raise up, go to the right end of the next line and cut right to left again. I know I can flip every other line to move the start point of the lines so they alternate and reduce my air cutting time but is there some way the software could just do this automatically? I have tried all possible combinations ( I think) of the Order and Start options and nothing seems to change the start points of each line. The only way I can make the start point change is by flipping every other line.
I am relatively new to Vcarve (about a year) so any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. My pile of "air" chips is piling up. :)

Thanks
Scott

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Toolpath Optimization -Cutting air

Post by FixitMike »

One way to do this is to draw two parallel lines at the spacing desired, node edit one to change the starting point (or flip the line), and then array the pair of lines at a greater spacing.

Not automatic, but much faster than arraying first.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

This uses two long vectors for minimal retractions.
Attachments
GridWIth2Vectors_48x48.crv
(74.5 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

SRiddle68
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade CNC w/Mach4

Post by SRiddle68 »

Thanks for the suggestions. They definitely work. It would be nice though if the software just did this automatically. I have ran several machinist type cam packages and they all have very tight path optimization to reduce cycle times.

Thanks
Scott