Bad simulation

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Bad simulation

Post by cusoak »

I have a file here that will not show the simulation of all of the tool paths to cut pockets for finger joints
I have attached the file, could some one look at it and tell me what is wrong
Jeff
Attachments
Bad simulation.crv
(41 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Bad simulation

Post by Adrian »

You'll always have issues if the rectangles are the same width as the tool. It's due to internal rounding in the software. You can use a single straight line vector and do a profile cut on the line instead. Alternatively make the rectangles a fraction bigger or "lie" about the tool size by setting it as 0.249" rather than 0.250".

cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Post by cusoak »

Thanks Adrian as always. I will try th single line vector and see if I can make that work.
What I am trying to do is to be able to cut the tails and pins for finger joints in 1 design and have both boards mounted in front vertically and generate 1 cut file.
would vcarve pro 10 make what I am trying to do any easery.
Jeff

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

cusoak wrote: would vcarve pro 10 make what I am trying to do any easery.
No it would be the same in V10.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

The disadvantage of cutting finger joints on both boards of a corner at the same time is that it leaves no allowance for a slip fit or room for some glue. I often cut finger joints for my students but by cutting each end separately I can get far more creative with spacing and shape of the fingers. It rarely takes more than one VCarve file as I can usually use the same vectors for both ends with a small change in how the tool path is set up. then save each tool path as a unique file.

Some examples of the variety of joinery possible: http://4dfurniture.blogspot.com/2016/05 ... c-cut.html

4D