File splitting and transferal

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro

File splitting and transferal

Postby BigC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi.
I am wishing to make a few little plate stands supplied by a fellow member posted way back when.
Now he has them all (3 pieces) on one stock board.
I am wanting to make them from Oak but I only have narrow sections lying around.
I would like to be able to lay maybe 2 of the sections (legs) on one piece and the other (back) on the second section of oak.
I know this is a long way round perhaps
What is the best way to deconstruct the original file? is it just a matter of highlight, copy and paste into a newly created file and session of V Carve
or is there a simpler method
I hope I have made it clear what I'm trying to do here, if not please advise further
Thanks for taking the time to help out if you can.
Regards
C
BigC
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Re: File splitting and transferal

Postby Jim_in_PA » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Copy/Paste is your friend. Copy what you want to be a "different" job to the clipboard...create a new file with the required material sizing, paste the object and go from there. I do this quite frequently honestly...sometimes with some relatively complex things that would be a pain to re-create.

A second option is to take the original file and save-as a different/new file name, change the material parameters and delete the objects you don't need, process from there. That's sometimes faster than the other method but both have their benefits.
Jim_in_PA
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Postby BigC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Jim_in_PA wrote:Copy/Paste is your friend. Copy what you want to be a "different" job to the clipboard...create a new file with the required material sizing, paste the object and go from there. I do this quite frequently honestly...sometimes with some relatively complex things that would be a pain to re-create.

A second option is to take the original file and save-as a different/new file name, change the material parameters and delete the objects you don't need, process from there. That's sometimes faster than the other method but both have their benefits.

Thank You Jim, appreciated
Regards
C
BigC
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Postby ezurick » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Jim_in_PA wrote:Copy/Paste is your friend. Copy what you want to be a "different" job to the clipboard...create a new file with the required material sizing, paste the object and go from there. I do this quite frequently honestly...sometimes with some relatively complex things that would be a pain to re-create.

I agree with the first option. I have to do that a lot when I am messing with other folks projects since my machine is a 6040... very limited, so I have to break up to smaller projects. Copy n' paste to a new project file and try to duplicate the toolpath.
~ Ed
ezurick
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6040

Return to VCarve - General