XYZ Probe

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

XYZ Probe

Post by BigC »

I'm thinking of purchasing an XYZ probe. (or maybe an addition to Santa's List) define Good! :lol:
Anyone using these on a smaller Hobbyist Router CNC?
How do you find them, e.g. Ease of setup and use
any suggestions and links.
fasten3.jpg
Regards
C

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by Adrian »

I had one for 10 years and used it once. It takes forever to probe enough points to get anything usable. A 3D scanner would probably be better but obviously a lot more expensive.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

I agree with Adrian. I purchased one from ebay a few months ago.. and there it sits in the corner of my work desk. I dread having to wire it up first... then as I think about the concept.. blah! Currently my Mach3 is working pretty good. So I am in fear that running scripts to get the Z probe working will mess with my settings and process. I'll stick with my manual eyeball vs paper touch routine. So much faster for me than struggling with a plate and stuff. I have zero issues with my Z now that I am getting more and more use to my setup process.

As you insinuated in your post, it probably is more ideal for the big automated machines. But a bit cumbersome for us smaller project machines. Just my opinion.

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

Jog Jog Jog! :shock: and there's me thinking it would be a handy little item, doing away with all those little scraps of paper :lol:
I wouldn't be interested in just a "Z" probe so I thought one that does all three would be especially useful.
Thanks for your replies guys

Regards
C

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Depends on what your intended use is. I thought from the original post you were talking about an XYZ probe that is used to map the outside of a 3D shape. If so I wouldn't bother for the reasons I stated.

However if you're talking about a touch off system for setting XYZ zero then that's a different matter. I have several home made ones that, before I switched to doing 8x4 sheets all the time, I used several times a day. Those are very useful.

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

No Adrian, similar but on a much smaller scale.
Just simple square/rectangular stock whereby I can find the XYZ as efficiently as possible.
I have found one (plug and play) that I can wire into the machine. that just plugs in via a Molex terminal and is not too expensive (well not for me as Santa will duly be informed) :wink:
Its only small and not on the scale that would be needed for 8'x4' machining.
I was just wondering if it's worth investing. Looking at it after installing and setting up the macros it seemed like a good idea.
Then again I'm only a newbie
Regards
C

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

Some of those come in handy by taking multiple readings on a board. I don't always have a "completely flat to the table" board and one of those would come in handy. Had that system on my previous cnc and it worked fairly good. Currently I use the paper method of getting Z and haven't even used the touch off puck on my Axiom.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

BigC wrote:No Adrian, similar but on a much smaller scale.
Just simple square/rectangular stock whereby I can find the XYZ as efficiently as possible.
I have found one (plug and play) that I can wire into the machine. that just plugs in via a Molex terminal and is not too expensive (well not for me as Santa will duly be informed) :wink:
Its only small and not on the scale that would be needed for 8'x4' machining.
I was just wondering if it's worth investing. Looking at it after installing and setting up the macros it seemed like a good idea.
Then again I'm only a newbie
Regards
C
They're definitely useful but they are incredibly easy to make. As I say I had a range of them fitted to various templates. They were all the same basic design though. A 22mm copper pipe cap with a wire soldered onto it.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Like a lot of folks here I only use a simple Z touch off plate. That is worth it's weight in gold.

For XY I have a small laser mounted. That is for "rough" positioning because the dot is fairly large. I use that when I am cutting something completely out of a piece or accuracy is not important for XY zero. It is a cheapie laser that was intended to be used on a pistol for a laser sight. Cost about $30 IIRC. On my engraving laser I do not have power control so that cannot be used but would be much better. Maybe one of these days but I hate fooling with the wiring, just not my thing.

One thing that has really helped is Ger21's Screenset. I run the Mach3 version but he has versions for other controllers. It makes setting up a touch off plate very simple. Connect to the proper input and a few simple settings in his macros. Plus it does a ton of other things. Like a Park position button which can also be called from the g code. And his screens are not ugly like Mach3's! LOL.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

TReischl wrote:Like a lot of folks here I only use a simple Z touch off plate. That is worth it's weight in gold.

For XY I have a small laser mounted. That is for "rough" positioning because the dot is fairly large. I use that when I am cutting something completely out of a piece or accuracy is not important for XY zero. It is a cheapie laser that was intended to be used on a pistol for a laser sight. Cost about $30 IIRC. On my engraving laser I do not have power control so that cannot be used but would be much better. Maybe one of these days but I hate fooling with the wiring, just not my thing.

One thing that has really helped is Ger21's Screenset. I run the Mach3 version but he has versions for other controllers. It makes setting up a touch off plate very simple. Connect to the proper input and a few simple settings in his macros. Plus it does a ton of other things. Like a Park position button which can also be called from the g code. And his screens are not ugly like Mach3's! LOL.
Ted,

Does Ger21 make a custom screen set for WinCNC? If so, where can I purchase it? I could write my own but if he has one that is similar to what I'm looking for why re-invent the wheel.
Last edited by SteveNelson46 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

Take a look at the Triquetra.
Just search triquetra XYZ and it will pop up.
I have one and love it.
Its dead nuts for repeatability.
I occasionally have to stop a carve partially complete, come back the next day probe the corner and finish the job with zero problems.
If you have any questions at all Charlie will spend all the time necessary to help you out.
Can you make one yourself? absolutely.
It all depends on what your time is worth.
But he has put together a package that is basically plug and play.
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

WOW, thanks, guys. A myriad of replies there I appreciate your time.
I will probably invest in one. (or somebody will on my behalf) I have one in mind that is compatible with my machine etc as it basically bolts on with a fitted socket above the router.
It would save me a lot of time and if set up correctly I know its completely accurate. Once I get my head around the installation. I have no problem with the wiring side of things and it seems easy enough to connect to the controller board, the configuration might be a challenge but I'm sure I'll manage it.
Thanks again. I've taken on board all your valuable comments
Regards
C

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Does Ger21 make a custom screen set for WinCNC? If so, where can I purchase it? I could write my own but if he has one that is similar to what I'm looking for why re-invent the wheel.
Sorry, Just Mach3 and UCCNC.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

I have a small USB powered microscope mounted on my Z axis.
This allows me to locate material edges, holes in material, features I wish to avoid etc.
It's very accurate and fast to find my reference points. Then I use a Z touch off plate to set the Z height.
Not sure what control system you have, but I use Mach3 and Klaus's video plugin. https://kd-dietz.com/pages/eng/plugins/ ... logv3.html
Just thought I'd mention it.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

ozymax wrote:I have a small USB powered microscope mounted on my Z axis.
This allows me to locate material edges, holes in material, features I wish to avoid etc.
It's very accurate and fast to find my reference points. Then I use a Z touch off plate to set the Z height.
Not sure what control system you have, but I use Mach3 and Klaus's video plugin. https://kd-dietz.com/pages/eng/plugins/ ... logv3.html
Just thought I'd mention it.
Now that is clever! Can you post some more information, like which microscope you use? Maybe some pics of how you have it mounted, etc?
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns