Rotary Profile in VCarve Pro 10

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BEF
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR6 Pro+

Rotary Profile in VCarve Pro 10

Post by BEF »

I am new to working with a rotary axis and could use some help. I want to make a turned piece, like a chess pawn. I have the cross-section ("profile"), but don't understand how I then transfer that to my rotary job (e.g., sweep along drive rail. And, is this is possible to design in Vcarve Pro 10, or must you have Aspire?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Rotary Profile in VCarve Pro 10

Post by Rcnewcomb »

For a symetrical piece like a pawn you could do that with the moulding toolpath. For pieces like the Knight you would need an STL file of the piece. Search the 3D printer sites for

Code: Select all

chess STL free download 
and you can fine some.

Here is a zipped CRV of a very simple example: Rotary Simple Knight
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Here is a whole spiral themed set of .stl chess pieces. I've had them on my HD for a long time and I don't remember where the came from. I have never carved them and I don't have Vcarve either so they may not even be suitable to your liking. But, what the heck, they're free.
Attachments
Spiral_Chess_Set.zip
(2.79 MiB) Downloaded 106 times
Queen Import.jpg
Steve

BEF

Post by BEF »

Thanks. But that's Aspire, too. Do I have to have Aspire to build a model for something LIKE a chess piece?

BEF

Post by BEF »

Sorry,, folks, I need to be clearer here. I am not actually interested in a chess pawn; rather I am trying to understand how to use a rotary CNC axis to turn a spindle (like a pawn), with beads and coves around the circumference (like a stair spindle). All the examples like this on the Vectric website use Aspire. Can it be done with the molding toolpath in VCarve Pro? Is there any information about how you accomplish this, describing the steps? For example, I tried to "sweep" a molding pattern along the side of my workpiece in the attached .crv file, but it clearly doesn't; I'm doing things completely wrong.

Thanks.
Attachments
Spindle.crv
(649.5 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

BEF wrote:Sorry,, folks, I need to be clearer here. I am not actually interested in a chess pawn; rather I am trying to understand how to use a rotary CNC axis to turn a spindle (like a pawn), with beads and coves around the circumference (like a stair spindle). All the examples like this on the Vectric website use Aspire. Can it be done with the molding toolpath in VCarve Pro? Is there any information about how you accomplish this, describing the steps? For example, I tried to "sweep" a molding pattern along the side of my workpiece in the attached .crv file, but it clearly doesn't; I'm doing things completely wrong.

Thanks.
Check out the Vcarve tutorials on the rotary..... https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... yMachining

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

BEF wrote:Sorry,, folks, I need to be clearer here. I am not actually interested in a chess pawn; rather I am trying to understand how to use a rotary CNC axis to turn a spindle (like a pawn), with beads and coves around the circumference (like a stair spindle). All the examples like this on the Vectric website use Aspire. Can it be done with the molding toolpath in VCarve Pro? Is there any information about how you accomplish this, describing the steps? For example, I tried to "sweep" a molding pattern along the side of my workpiece in the attached .crv file, but it clearly doesn't; I'm doing things completely wrong.

Thanks.
You need to rotate your profile 90 degrees then recalculate toolpath.

Greg K

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

As Greg said, just rotate the profile....
Attachments
Image 618.png
Image 619.png
John
Maker of Chips

BEF

Post by BEF »

AHA! Thank you, thank you. I clearly need to understand better how the moulding toolpath works. Happy holidays.