Gadgets as addons

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Gadgets as addons

Post by BigC »

Cut2D user upgraded to V Carve Desktop
After drinking a few heavy Red Wines on a Saturday night (without a clear head :lol: ) I get to thinking.
Would it be a good idea to offer individual Gadgets as a paid add-on to all or most platforms (if applicable)?
I'm a home novice user on a limited income (there may be more of us out there) who cannot afford the high-end software to which gadgets are freely available but like me would love to have access to individual gadgets at a price point for our particular software.
I myself would like to be able to access some of these useful items and would be prepared to pay for certain (not all) add-ons that would be of use to me
any thoughts? maybe I should lay off the wine :lol:
C

ezurick

Re: Gadgets as addons

Post by ezurick »

I too started out with CUT2D desktop and upgraded to Vcarve desktop. I also would love to upgrade to Pro, but can't justify the cost with my very limited income too. And from what little I know, gadgets are the main thing for the upgrade besides 25x25 area. But that doesn't mean much to me with a 6040 machine. I might consider paying additional for a gadget if I knew the price was right and the gadget was 100% working. I don't think anyone would guarantee that since most gadgets are home made by users, not vectric, I think. Just my 2 cents.

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Post by BigC »

Hi
Yes, I see what you mean. I would love Aspire (eventually) but that is just a pipe dream at the moment especially with buying the machine also.
But still, there are certain things I would love to do with some of the gadgets. Then again I suppose half the fun is working it all out from scratch and learning more as you go. Thanks for your comments.
Regards
C

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Post by kstrauss »

Perhaps I'm missing something but I believe that the issue is not the cost of gadgets (many are developed by amateurs and are offered without charge). The problem is that non-pro (desktop) versions of Vectric software cannot load gadgets.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

kstrauss wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something but I believe that the issue is not the cost of gadgets (many are developed by amateurs and are offered without charge). The problem is that non-pro (desktop) versions of Vectric software cannot load gadgets.
The proposal is to allow the desktop versions to have access to gadgets but on pay basis for each gadget wanted. The cost being referred to in the posts above is the cost of upgrading from a desktop version of the software to a version that supports gadgets in the current form.

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Post by kstrauss »

I don't understand your explanation. Assume that Vectric decides to enable gadgets in the non-pro version. Then anyone with the necessary skills could develop gadgets or use the numerous free gadgets currently available. Who would receive a payment for the free or personally written gadget? Obviously I can currently use free gadgets by purchasing the pro version of vcarve but I cannot justify the difference in price.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I'd say the majority of gadgets in everyday use are the Vectric ones from the gadget website rather than 3rd party ones. No idea how it would work with 3rd party gadgets I was just explaining what the OP was asking for and how costs related to it. I have Aspire so it's not an issue for me.