Stacked Text start/stop depth question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro

Stacked Text start/stop depth question

Postby tvannaman2000 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:07 pm

I've got a question.. I followed the Vectric tutorial on making stacked text signs and they have you using start depth as 0 for every level and adding document variables to get the DOC.

TT-.1 top text
BT=.1 bottom text

Top text: start 0 DOC: ${TT}
Bot text: start 0 DOC: ${TT} + ${BT} (using Amana 60d bit .5 wide for both)

It looks great when you render the toolpaths in Vcarve, but when you go to machine it, it takes forever and a day to make that bottom text cut because it air cuts the entire top level before actually hitting any wood.

Thinking I'm so smart, I go into VC and make the following changes to bottom text: start: ${TT} DOC: ${BT}

It rendered the exact same in VC so I save my tool path and fire it up. Yep, it missed all the air carving but it also seems to have brutalized some of the top text. Not a good tradeoff. I immediately stopped the carve and set it back to way it was before and it is busy doing it's air carving.

My question: How does manipulating the start and DOC this way change how it actually works? From a logic standpoint, they are doing the exact same thing so why would it seem to be acting differently? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.

Thanks.
tvannaman2000
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Re: Stacked Text start/stop depth question

Postby adze_cnc » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:08 pm

Without an image to understand what "brutualizing" the top text implies or a VCarve file to try and diagnose your toolpath woes I offer the following:

to get your start: 0 ; doc: {tt}+{bt} version working try changing the "pass depth" of your bit to "0.25" for that toolpath. No more "air cutting".
adze_cnc
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Postby todd432 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:19 am

I think I have a similar problem VC pro 10 with stacked text.
The tool paths mess up lettering when doing the bottom text V carve clean up pass.
And when doing a texture path on the bottom, it dos not respect the boundary offset on some letters

I went back to 9.518 vs. V Carve pro. and it worked just fine.

Todd
todd432

Model of CNC Machine: Joes 4x4 R&P

Postby gregk » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:57 am

Could any of the users experiencing this issue contact our support team (support@vectric.com) please? If we can get a file that demonstrates the issue then we are more than happy to investigate.

Greg K
gregk
Vectric Staff

Model of CNC Machine: None

Return to VCarve - General