Playing the Flute (Toolpaths)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro

Playing the Flute (Toolpaths)

Postby BigC » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi
I'm gradually working my way through some of the Vectric Tutorials (in an effort to learn more about the software) and I'm about to make a small demo panel (perhaps out of Oak)
It will have 3 longitudinal flutes and a Tudor Rose either sunken (dish type) into the same piece of stock or into a raised piece attached to it.
Anyway getting back to the fluting part Rebecca states in that particular video that she is using a 1/2 inch wide bullnose to execute the job along a set of 3 single lines.
I do not have any 1/2 inch tooling bits in my arsenal as I only have a Makita palm router as my spindle. (1/4 and 1/8 inch collets)
How can I achieve the 1/2 inch grooves? How do I draw the toolpaths to achieve this using a 1/4 inch (6mm) BN mill?
I want a shallow gradual ramp at the beginning and the end.
Probably a simple answer but I just want to be sure I'm doing things correctly. Once I know, again this knowledge can be transferred to a multitude of tasks in the future.
Thanks again for your time and trouble in replying to the above query. it is very much appreciated
Regards
C
BigC
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Re: Playing the Flute (Toolpaths)

Postby BigC » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:17 am

Ok maybe this cannot be done with bits I have at my disposal (6mm being the widest) I've tried a few times using box vectors and nothing seems to work out (maybe you know different)
I was wondering if these babies can be used

fluting bit.PNG

https://routercutter.co.uk/round-nose-core-box

and "if so" and more importantly, How does one set them up in the Tool Database?

Regards
C
BigC
Vectric Craftsman

Postby scottp55 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:22 am

C.
If that is a .25" Radius/.5 Diameter...then it can be entered as a .5" Ball Nose.
IF wider diameter, then enter as a form tool (don't have the form tool tutorial at fingertips,but look up the procedure).
Try a Smooth Ramp/Start and End/100%...and see in preview if that does what you want.....vary percentage to change to what you want.
scott
scott
scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP10

Postby BigC » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:47 pm

scottp55 wrote:C.
If that is a .25" Radius/.5 Diameter...then it can be entered as a .5" Ball Nose.
IF wider diameter, then enter as a form tool (don't have the form tool tutorial at fingertips,but look up the procedure).
Try a Smooth Ramp/Start and End/100%...and see in preview if that does what you want.....vary percentage to change to what you want.
scott

Thanks Scott
I used that as an example, I have some cheap but similar bits that may work, not sure of their dims but its worth a try
Good to know I can maybe enter their data as a BN
Let you know how I get on
Regards
C
BigC
Vectric Craftsman

Return to VCarve - General