Unexpected Cut with 3D Tabs

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
wolfspaw
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 3-Axis Router

Unexpected Cut with 3D Tabs

Post by wolfspaw »

I am working on a double-sided 3D circular frame in Vcarve Pro 10. I created the frame as a .stl file and imported it without issue. I then merged in some Clipart 3D tabs around the O.D. and I.D. of the frame. When I create the 3D roughing toolpath, the boundary cut is going around the tabs instead of just hopping up and over. Image 1 shows my tabs result. Image 2 shows the desired tabs result from the Vectric Marlin tutorial. Obviously I have something set incorrectly. Any help is appreciated!
Attachments
Image 1
Image 1
Image 2
Image 2

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Re: Unexpected Cut with 3D Tabs

Post by dealguy11 »

You need to create a boundary vector for the carving and use it to define the carving area, rather than using the model boundary.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

wolfspaw
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 3-Axis Router

Post by wolfspaw »

That was it. Cuts as expected now. I don't recall the boundary vectors in the Marlin example...I will have to watch it again. Thanks for the help!

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

In the Marlin double sided tutorial they put the tabs on a different level than the components and the zero plane on a different level also. Then use "Selected Level" for the roughing and finish toolpath and select the level with the components and add a boundary offset . This method prevents cutting through the tabs while allowing for a cutting limit plane that is below the mid-point of the material and eliminates the need for a cutout. I have used this method many times on double sided projects and it works great.
Attachments
Levels.jpg
Selected Level.jpg
Steve