importing Aspire files in VCarve Pro

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jdeshields1
Model of CNC Machine: Routakit SD, BobsCNC E-3

importing Aspire files in VCarve Pro

Post by jdeshields1 »

I love doing the monthly projects by Michael Tyler, but I have found that a lot of them (especially the ones my wife loves) are in Aspire format. Is there a way to convert these files to work in VCarve Pro?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: importing Aspire files in VCarve Pro

Post by highpockets »

The short answer is no....
John
Maker of Chips

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I suppose that if you have Aspire you could export all the vectors, component parts (probably as STL), and toolpaths and then import the lot into VCarve.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

jdeshields1 wrote:I love doing the monthly projects by Michael Tyler, but I have found that a lot of them (especially the ones my wife loves) are in Aspire format. Is there a way to convert these files to work in VCarve Pro?

lol. I asked the same question to vectric since I really wanted a few that were Aspire only... short answer... No. They stated that they do not wish to go back on past projects and want to leave them 'as-is'. I personally can't see why it would be a big deal.. but what do I know? :roll:

I have requested that future projects include us VC folks... no reply on that one....

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Part of the reason is some of the features used to create the projects are only available in Aspire.
John
Maker of Chips

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

You can use the trial version of Aspire, open a file in it, and Save As a .crv file to use in VCarve. Unfortunately, you are will probably loose any 3D information contained in the file.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

highpockets wrote:Part of the reason is some of the features used to create the projects are only available in Aspire.

I don't have Aspire to test that. Nor can I afford it... but I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to save most any project in VC format. I am not talking about "creating the project". Just basically toolpaths for the vectors/3D. Take a gander at Michael's weathervane rooster clock project. I am positive he created most things in Aspire. But he was able to easily save it in VC format for us peasants...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Remember that the free projects are marketing tools for Vectric primarily. They alternate between Aspire and VCarve.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Adrian wrote:Remember that the free projects are marketing tools for Vectric primarily. They alternate between Aspire and VCarve.

Ok.. but they, of all people, should understand that a small business can perfectly thrive on just VC and not have to invest dearly into Aspire. It shouldn't hurt them in any way to save the monthly projects in both formats. Besides, you have to have a valid purchased account (customer portal) to even view the contents of those free projects. VC now supports 3D and perhaps most toolpath features. When they post monthly free projects JUST for Aspire folks, it is like throwing us peasants OUT of the bus... lol. I would think most VC owners would agree... However, I stand corrected if there are features in the project that only Aspire can perform.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Multiple models in a file would preclude cutting them on VCP if I'm not mistaken. There's been a limitation in VCP for one model per project.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The limitation is on 3rd party models. You can have as many Vectric format (V3M) models in VCarve as you like.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Adrian wrote:The limitation is on 3rd party models. You can have as many Vectric format (V3M) models in VCarve as you like.

Thanks for the clarification, Adrian!

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Adrian has said the free projects are a marketing tool, they are produced using the software from start to finish to demonstrate what can be done with the software. I believe Michael uses Aspire to create the projects that are Aspire only & VCP for those that don't require any modeling tools. It's not simply a case of saving an aspire file in VCP format either as if that were done all the 3D data would be lost.
The projects often show the new features added after a new version has been released. For the Aspire only projects VCP could only do half the job, yes it can cut the projects but it cant actually create them to start with :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with VCP, well actually I started with cut2D (thinking that was all I would need) & ugraded to VCP, I didn't see a problem with not having the same number of free projects as Aspire users but at that time VCP didn't have the ability to generate 3D toolpaths