Adding 3D Parts

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro

Adding 3D Parts

Postby grubby65 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:08 pm

parts holder.crv
(879 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
parts holder.crv
(879 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
I'm going to describe this the best I can. But my question is adding parts to a project. I cut out what I would call a parts holder. It will be used to hold dowels. I don't have a lathe and I need to make some stepped dowels. The dowels will be put in the part holder and then use my CNC to make the dowels. I left the part holder attached to the base in the original location. I can do this basically invisibly by basically overlaying the circles and dimensions over the original job, but it would be nice to visibly see the outcome rendered. Basically what I would like to do is insert jobs as cylinders (the dowels) into the original project.
grubby65
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: DIY build WoodSmith Magazine design

Re: Adding 3D Parts

Postby Adrian » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:41 pm

Nope, don't understand at all. A picture is worth a thousand words to me. Hopefully someone with a few more active brain cells will be able to help. :lol:
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Postby grubby65 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:37 pm

IMG_4138.jpg
Adrian wrote:Nope, don't understand at all. A picture is worth a thousand words to me. Hopefully someone with a few more active brain cells will be able to help. :lol:

I attached the .crv of the parts holder. Basically what I want to do is create some stepped sleeves from dowels by placing them in the parts holder. It would be nice if VCarve would allow you to put a 3D cylinder in the drawing then you could cut it out. Basically you would need two jobs, one would be the part holder and the other would be a dowel. To picture this would be a lego (spare piece with the little tabs sticking out).

This is a picture of the part holder. What I will do is place dowels in the cutouts and carve different steps in them. What I would like to do in VCARVE is actually place the cylinders (dowels) into the original job.
grubby65
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: DIY build WoodSmith Magazine design

Postby martin54 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:52 pm

If you are just talking about a visual then you might be able to do what you want using 3D tabs, not something I have actually tried but might work :lol: :lol:
martin54
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48 (modified)

Postby Adrian » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:15 pm

You could create the part the thickness of the depth of the dowel and then create a dummy toolpath to pocket all that extra material out.
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Return to VCarve - General