Quick Engraving on a 3D

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro

Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby ezurick » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:09 am

Hi folks. I was working on a project which I am using the 3D scroll as a background and I am placing words on the scroll. My problem is that I really wanted to use the quick engraving, but there isn't an option to place the toolpath onto a 3D object like there is for a profile toolpath. Perhaps some folks will reply and say just use the profile. If that is the case, then could someone explain to me what the difference is between using the profile on single line letters versus the quick engraving?

To be honest, vcarve and profile toolpaths both chomp out too much material although I am only going .002 depth. The engraving on the single line letters look great, but my VC desktop doesn't have an option to put it on a 3D. Any advice?
User avatar
ezurick
Vectric Craftsman
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6040

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby ezurick » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:14 am

Here is what I am talking about...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4qvtrupp4cak4v/tt.bmp?dl=0

This is the profile toolpath with a 60 Degree V bit of .002" depth. It is a single line font. Close up it is readable... from a distant, is is just chop suey!
User avatar
ezurick
Vectric Craftsman
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6040

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby Adrian » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:07 am

Are you going by the preview or have you tried cutting it? If you're going by the preview then it looks like the preview resolution is far too low to me. Have a look on the Toolpaths menu at Preview Simulation Quality.
User avatar
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
 
Posts: 9599
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby ezurick » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Adrian wrote:Are you going by the preview or have you tried cutting it? If you're going by the preview then it looks like the preview resolution is far too low to me. Have a look on the Toolpaths menu at Preview Simulation Quality.


Adrain, forgive my ignorance, but where on earth do I find this "preview resolution"? I can't find it anywhere. But I will say that my issue is not just the preview. I've actually used the profile on single line letters at .002 using a 60 Deg V bit and it looked like the preview. Very hard to read and a chopped mess. Every small letter 'e' had a hole it in. It isn't the tool because I've VC larger truefont stuff and it came out nice and clean.
User avatar
ezurick
Vectric Craftsman
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6040

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby Adrian » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Toolpaths menu, Preview Simulation Quality. Set it to Maximum and run the preview again.

Could you attach a file (copyright permitting) that shows the issue? It's hard to give advice from just the picture as there are so many things that could be up.
User avatar
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
 
Posts: 9599
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby martin54 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:12 pm

When your cutting things like small text & graphics it can be a bit of a strain on the machine, even though you may not be cutting very deep the machine is making lots of sudden changes in direction so things like rigidity & tool deflection come into play more.
Often slowing things down can help with this, t will also help reduce tear out. Try slowing things right down to see if that makes any difference, if it does then you can experiment slowly inceasing your feed settings until you are happy with both the carving & the time it takes. :lol: :lol:

Can't be sure if there is a warning message but be aware that the higher you set the toolpath simulation resolution the longer the simulation takes to run. On a high end machine it's not a problem but on an older Computer it can make a big difference.
User avatar
martin54
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 4630
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Crossgates, Scotland
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48 (modified)

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby ezurick » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Adrian wrote:Toolpaths menu, Preview Simulation Quality. Set it to Maximum and run the preview again.

Could you attach a file (copyright permitting) that shows the issue? It's hard to give advice from just the picture as there are so many things that could be up.



Ok... There is absolutely NO Preview Simulation Quality in my Toolpath menu that I can find. Perhaps because I have the Desktop version, I don't know. Here is a screenshot of my toolpath menu

https://www.dropbox.com/s/plq23slzu87dg ... e.JPG?dl=0

I can't attach the crv file since it holds 3D objects. However, it isn't hard to reproduce an engraving on a 3D object. There is no option like the profile toolpath to place it on a 3D object. So the depth of the engraving is erratic on a 3D object.
User avatar
ezurick
Vectric Craftsman
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6040

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby ezurick » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:22 pm

martin54 wrote:When your cutting things like small text & graphics it can be a bit of a strain on the machine, even though you may not be cutting very deep the machine is making lots of sudden changes in direction so things like rigidity & tool deflection come into play more.
Often slowing things down can help with this, t will also help reduce tear out. Try slowing things right down to see if that makes any difference, if it does then you can experiment slowly inceasing your feed settings until you are happy with both the carving & the time it takes. :lol: :lol:

Can't be sure if there is a warning message but be aware that the higher you set the toolpath simulation resolution the longer the simulation takes to run. On a high end machine it's not a problem but on an older Computer it can make a big difference.



Yeah, I will experiment with slower speeds on single line text and see if I can get better results... But this doesn't help if I am doing a quick engraving on a 3D object.

And lastly, I do not have a toolpath simulation resolution option on my Vcarve Desktop v10. Please show me where it is located because I can not find it for the life of me!
User avatar
ezurick
Vectric Craftsman
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6040

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby martin54 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:36 pm

Top of the screen where you have file, edit, model, toolpath

Under toolpath on the dropdown will be simulation preview. Probably set to standard just now :lol: :lol:
User avatar
martin54
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 4630
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Crossgates, Scotland
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48 (modified)

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby highpockets » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:04 pm

Image 506.png
John
Maker of Chips
User avatar
highpockets
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 2431
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:04 pm
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby ezurick » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:30 am

Ok.. found it.. thanks guys. I was nearly scared that I was losing my mind looking in the toolpath menu for it. Perhaps someone needs to clarify that there are TWO toolpath menu options... I rarely even look up there since the toolpath is clearly on the screen on the right. Very deceiving and maybe this thread will help others lost like I was.

As I think about it.. why on EARTH place a setting option differently from the the actual toolpath menu? strange programming strategy. Or more complexity for the customer?
User avatar
ezurick
Vectric Craftsman
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6040

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby highpockets » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:55 am

I use to think it belonged under the View tab, but as I thought about it, it's related to the Toolpath area so, that works too.
John
Maker of Chips
User avatar
highpockets
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 2431
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:04 pm
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby TReischl » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:58 am

ezurick wrote:...... Or more complexity for the customer?


Yup, that is exactly why they do it. One thing software people hate is having more customers. Just makes life harder for them. The more complex the better.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Jones
User avatar
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 2867
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:04 pm
Location: Leland NC
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X10 RP 2010 Screenset

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby mtylerfl » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:19 am

highpockets wrote:I use to think it belonged under the View tab, but as I thought about it, it's related to the Toolpath area so, that works too.


Intuitively, I still often click on the “View” menu expecting to set the Toolpath Preview display quality - can’t seem help it!
Michael Tyler

carvebuddy.com

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC
User avatar
mtylerfl
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 4038
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:54 am
Location: Brunswick, GA
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Postby ezurick » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:21 am

TReischl wrote:
ezurick wrote:...... Or more complexity for the customer?


Yup, that is exactly why they do it. One thing software people hate is having more customers. Just makes life harder for them. The more complex the better.


Your sarcasm skills need some attention. However, to be quite honest, if you go to the normal toolpath menu on the right... there is were you will find EVERYTHING to control the toolpath except that quality adjustment. I mean, even the "preview" option is there along with the "save an image"... but you have to deter to another area to adjust the quality. Isn't quite practical to me. But that is just my opinion... what do I know. Been programming 'C' since the early 80's and have done many projects for DoD. Ok, back to my own little world.
User avatar
ezurick
Vectric Craftsman
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6040


Return to VCarve - General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 26 guests