Photo-V-Carve in V10

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Jhodge76
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Photo-V-Carve in V10

Post by Jhodge76 »

I was very pleased to see that Photo-V-Carve was added into V10. The stand alone PVC software has become one of my favorite programs to use in conjunction with Vcarve. I watched the video about it before upgrading and even saw one of my projects in the video, which I as surprised but pleased to see. Unfortunately the settings that I used to create that project aren't available in the V10 options. Does anyone know if there are going to be updates or adjustments to the Photo-V-carve toolpath in the future?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Photo-V-Carve in V10

Post by Adrian »

Which settings? Some things are done using the bitmap tools instead.

Jhodge76

Post by Jhodge76 »

The two that I noticed were that you can only select V-bits and not ballnose bits, also you can't change the line space to go below 100%.

I do like some of the addition of the selected vectors option though. That looks like it will be fun to play with.

JickyJay
Model of CNC Machine: Built my own

Post by JickyJay »

I have the same sort of question. The selection I noticed was that in V10 the densest line spacing is 100% ..... but in PhotoVCarve it can be much denser, up to 200% (which can give much better results).
I suppose upgrading V10 to the functionality of PhotoVCarve would in effect make PhotoVCarve obsolete - Is that the problem?

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

I don't think extending the density range will be a problem, I'll add to our list for a discussion with the team.

Regarding the use of ball nose, what is the idea behind that just so we can get an understanding of the use case?

Thanks
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

mohamed wrote:I don't think extending the density range will be a problem, I'll add to our list for a discussion with the team.

Regarding the use of ball nose, what is the idea behind that just so we can get an understanding of the use case?

Thanks
Ball nose is needed for lithopane creation generally.

Jhodge76

Post by Jhodge76 »

I think I was misunderstanding adding the photo-v-carve feature to V10 and in my excitement thought all of PVC was in there.

I do like what was added and I have begun playing around with it.

The the ballnose works well in PVC but wouldn't in the V10 feature.

JickyJay

Post by JickyJay »

Thanks Mohamed, hopefully the line density range can be increased to that of PhotoVCarve.

Jhodge76

Post by Jhodge76 »

If the line density is increased and ballnose bits are an option then you could create lithophanes in V10, and with the vector toolpath option there could be ripple effects in them and text boxes like in the video she did with the wood.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

JickyJay wrote:I have the same sort of question. The selection I noticed was that in V10 the densest line spacing is 100% ..... but in PhotoVCarve it can be much denser, up to 200% (which can give much better results).
I suppose upgrading V10 to the functionality of PhotoVCarve would in effect make PhotoVCarve obsolete - Is that the problem?
You can set the line density to be higher than 100%. The slider is based on the current value. If you click in the text box and enter a higher value then the slider adjusts.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Tapered Ballnose 1/16” and 1/32” are typically the “go-to” bits for Lithophanes.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Jhodge76

Post by Jhodge76 »

Jhodge76 wrote:If the line density is increased and ballnose bits are an option then you could create lithophanes in V10, and with the vector toolpath option there could be ripple effects in them and text boxes like in the video she did with the wood.
Sorry I meant the line spacing to go below 100%...

JickyJay

Post by JickyJay »

Since I first posted questions regarding the Photo-V-Carve tool path, I have been playing with the cut depth, cut angle and line spacing values and it looks good to me now.
It is fine for my purposes anyway.

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

Still, in case it's needed, the next update will allow you to type any value you want for the line spacing percentage as long as it's above zero. The slider behaviour and range will remain the same 100 - 400, but you will be able to type 50 for example.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

Jhodge76

Post by Jhodge76 »

Thank you Mohamed, that will be very much appreciated. Is there any chance of being able to use ballnose as well as vbits?

Jonathan