moulding toolpath error message

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Kevin Jenness
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR48

moulding toolpath error message

Post by Kevin Jenness »

I am trying to create a moulding toolpath with a straight drive rail and a simple crown profile. I am getting the message " toolpath not created- check there is enough space to fit entire profile across rail contour w/o overlapping itself". I have checked the profile for overlaps using the vector checker. I have successfully created a similar toolpath recently. What am I overlooking? The first attachment is the one I am having trouble with.
library crown 2.crv
(18 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
library crown 2.crv
(18 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Attachments
library crown.crv
(76.5 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: moulding toolpath error message

Post by dealguy11 »

Not sure what these files are supposed to represent. The first file contains something that looks like a crown molding, but no rail. If that is the profile, then you need to delete the vectors for the back of the crown - cut it at the two spots circled. The third file has an overlap, but again not sure what it is.
Attachments
Moulding cut.JPG
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Kevin Jenness
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Kevin Jenness »

Sorry, here's the correct file. The first one you saw had the entire moulding shape including back bevels which I drew in the office, then I did further work on the shop computer, isolating the profile and adding a drive rail. I brought the file back to the office and was able to generate a clearance and finish toolpath, whereas on the shop computer I was able only to do a finish toolpath- when I added a clearance tool I got the error message. The two machines have slightly different versions of V Carve Pro loaded (9.010 in the shop and 9.015 in the office) and the tool lists are different, although the clearance tools' parameters are the same.
library crown 2.crv
(104.5 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

No error messages for me with 9.518 when calculating with clearance tools so my first thought would be that 9.010 had a bug/issue that was corrected by 9.015, according to the release notes there were fixes to the moulding toolpath in 9.011 and 9.013

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

No error messages for me either. Probably want to update to 9.015. Should be free.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Kevin Jenness
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Kevin Jenness »

It appears that the error message is triggered by setting a machining allowance in the clearing toolpath. It's baffling because I have done a similar profile with a clearance toolpath and machining allowance recently. Must be something else different that I am not seeing. I will update to the latest version and report back. Thanks for the advice.

Kevin Jenness
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Kevin Jenness »

I downloaded v. 9.518. Had the same problem both with the profile in question and a similar one drawn in v. 9.015.

After tracing the original curve to produce a new version I was able to generate a moulding profile with a clearance tool and boundary offset. Still baffled but now it works.