Importing vector files from the internet

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Vsantonartino
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha fx

Importing vector files from the internet

Post by Vsantonartino »

Hello I am new to the cnc world and just got my first cnc machine. I can find 3d vector files online and down load them to my computer,but no luck in opening them in v cave desktop any ideas

ezurick

Re: Importing vector files from the internet

Post by ezurick »

Too little information to be of any help. As a newbie with vcarve, it is always best to review ALL the tutorials and re-watch over and over the subjects you have problems with. Start your vcarve and before opening any files, to the left menu is "Video Tutorials". Click that and scroll through all the videos and watch which ones you are interested in first. I wouldn't suggest to not jump right into 3D carving. I personally started with basics and easy carvings before I gain confidence enough to venture to 3D and other more sophisticated projects.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

Vsantonartino wrote:Hello I am new to the cnc world and just got my first cnc machine. I can find 3d vector files online and down load them to my computer,but no luck in opening them in v cave desktop any ideas
Are you trying to open them or import them? You can't open directly, you will need to import them.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

A couple of pictures or a file you have actually downloaded would help. If you dont understand graphic formats there is a good chance what you have downloaded is just a bitmap image & even if you could import it into vcarve you wouldn't be able to do anything with it :lol: :lol:

Without a bit more detail about the files you have downloaded & what you would actually like to be able to do with them it is difficult to give helpful info :lol:

Vsantonartino
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha fx

Post by Vsantonartino »

I want to make a 3D chili pepper for my wife. I've located a free 3D vector file and saved it to my computer but I was not able to import to 3D vector file into v carve desktop. So can the program open other things in STL files

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Vectors are generally 2D in the CNC world.

If it's a 3D format file you would generally need to use the Import Component / 3D Model rather than the Import Vectors which it would sound like you're trying to do now.

The file formats are listed in the file type box for each import function.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Adrian has said Vector files are generally 2D & 3D files would be a different file format such as STL, OJB & need to be imported using the 3D import tools rather than 2D :lol: :lol:

What file format is your downloaded model? This tuorial deals with importing 3D data into vcarve, if your file is an stl (which many on the net are) then stl file import starts on the tutorial about the 5 min mark but your best watching the whole tutorial anyway :lol: :lol:

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... ideo_id=89