Suggestions on Sign

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
grubby65
Model of CNC Machine: DIY build WoodSmith Magazine design

Suggestions on Sign

Post by grubby65 »

I am moving forward on new projects for my router. I have included the .crv file. Here are some questions:
1) I am planning on using a 1/4" and 1/8" end mills. Would you suggest different bits.
2) Will VCarve provide estimated time to carve?
3) Any other suggestions would be welcome
Mopar1.zip
(2.49 MiB) Downloaded 73 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Suggestions on Sign

Post by Adrian »

The bits should be ok (can't comment on the speeds/feeds as I know nothing about your machine or material) but I would space out the P and L in PLYMOUTH slightly as the 1/8" bit can't fit between them. You can see that in the preview or, more easily, by turning on the solid preview in the top toolbar. It might be worth experimenting with a v-carve type toolpath on the top and bottom letters as the smaller letters (especially the M's and Y's) would look better but you would need a very acute (probably 30 degrees) bit to do that.

You can use the "clock" (Toolpath Summary) icon on the toolpath tab to get an idea of carving times. This won't be accurate until you've cut an actual job of this type and set the scale factor accordingly though. It can be used to see the relative differences of different toolpath strategies though.

On an aesthetic point I'm not sure about the MOPAR part. I would either remove one set of vectors so the lettering became solid or use a different toolpath so the sunken part wasn't so pronounced on those letters as I think it might look odd compared to the original when painted.

grubby65
Model of CNC Machine: DIY build WoodSmith Magazine design

Re: Suggestions on Sign

Post by grubby65 »

Adrian wrote:The bits should be ok (can't comment on the speeds/feeds as I know nothing about your machine or material) but I would space out the P and L in PLYMOUTH slightly as the 1/8" bit can't fit between them. You can see that in the preview or, more easily, by turning on the solid preview in the top toolbar. It might be worth experimenting with a v-carve type toolpath on the top and bottom letters as the smaller letters (especially the M's and Y's) would look better but you would need a very acute (probably 30 degrees) bit to do that.

You can use the "clock" (Toolpath Summary) icon on the toolpath tab to get an idea of carving times. This won't be accurate until you've cut an actual job of this type and set the scale factor accordingly though. It can be used to see the relative differences of different toolpath strategies though.

On an aesthetic point I'm not sure about the MOPAR part. I would either remove one set of vectors so the lettering became solid or use a different toolpath so the sunken part wasn't so pronounced on those letters as I think it might look odd compared to the original when painted.

Thanks for the suggestions.